Disk Harrow Axles - special steel??

/ Disk Harrow Axles - special steel?? #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I recently re-furbished a heavy 3pt. disk. I had a local machine shop make me new axles (square 1-1/8 I believe) After the fact, I began to wonder if disk harrow axles were customarily make of any certain steel and if they need to be tempered any special way? Again, after the fact, but never too late to learn. thanks

/ Disk Harrow Axles - special steel?? #2  
I recently re-furbished a heavy 3pt. disk. I had a local machine shop make me new axles (square 1-1/8 I believe) After the fact, I began to wonder if disk harrow axles were customarily make of any certain steel and if they need to be tempered any special way? Again, after the fact, but never too late to learn. thanks

Don't know for sure. But I cut the 1" dia axles on my 13-ft wheel disc using a cutting blade in a 4-1/2" angle grinder. That axle material seemed to cut about the same as the steel bar stock I use for general purpose welding. Didn't seem to be especially hardened and looked like ordinary steel to me. Certainly that axle material was nothing like the hardened steel rod used in hydraulic cylinders.

I did the cutting to reduce the size of the wheel disc to about 8-ft so my Mahindra 5525 could pull it in the type of soil I have (gravely loam).

Wheel disc axle cut.JPGWheel disc mod-1 (1).JPGWheel disc mod-1 (2).JPG

/ Disk Harrow Axles - special steel?? #3  
1 1/8" 1045 medium carbon cold drawn steel. No special treatment after machining.

/ Disk Harrow Axles - special steel??
Thanks very much to both of you. I have gotten 2 good answers that have eased my mind about my re-build. thanks again. Here are some pics of my project.

IMG_20120411_195452.jpg

IMG_20120411_180608.jpg

IMG_20120411_180617.jpg

IMG_20120411_180647.jpg

/ Disk Harrow Axles - special steel?? #5  
Nice work--looking good:thumbsup: