Ditch Filler

/ Ditch Filler #1  

valleydweller1

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510
Hi all,

I will be doing some long ditch work soon (hopefully this summer) and I'm interested in how others go about filling in the ditch. In addition to the BH, I have a BX 2230 with an FEL.

Here's my idea:

Build something like a snowplow for the FEL, something that bolts on in such a way that I can drive along the ditch, pushing the loose dirt in sideways as I go. Then I can go back over the ditch with a lawn roller or something.

Does this sound doable? All my ditch work has been fairly short (less than 30'), but this one will be many hundreds of feet.

Greg

/ Ditch Filler #2  
Find a pipeline construction project somewhere close and swing by late in the afternoon when they're backfilling. You'll see they just push the dirt in with the FEL. Then make a pass down each side of the filled trench to clean up the rest of the loose stuff. You can fill a 100 ft ditch in 15 minutes. Once you get the spoil back in the ditch, put a wheel on it and drive up and down a few times. Leave the excess dirt because it's going to settle unless you fill in 6-12" lifts and compact with a whacker or vibratory roller. After a few rains most of the settling will be done, just go back and smooth it up.
BTW, if the construction guys are working in a road or fairly critical area where they can't tolerate settling, they'll be filling with crushed stone or compacting the dirt as they backfill.

/ Ditch Filler #3  
when back filling push the dirt in @90* to the ditch with you fel bucket. keep it full of dirt. savint the time of dumping it and releveling the bucket

/ Ditch Filler #4  
Another way I have done it is.....if your tread width is wide enough, pull your tractor up on the ditch straddling it. Have your blade set at an angle....let it drop till you can make a good cut....and then proceed down the ditch.

Don't know if your ditch is up against a sharp rise on one side or not....but this works well and puts the excess right in the bottom of the ditch. Back up and turn your blade appropriately for the second pass. After you get it closed in you can easily drive down the fill and pack it in.

/ Ditch Filler #5  
hdbikercouple said:
when back filling push the dirt in @90* to the ditch with you fel bucket. keep it full of dirt. savint the time of dumping it and releveling the bucket

I agee with keeping the bucket filled, no need to keep dumping, just use it like a dozer. But I have better luck operating at an angle to the trench.

It's a lot of FWD/RVS work, so it's better for hydrostatic operation.

In fact, if you look through most operators manuals, they even show efficient methods for FEL operating, including trench filling.

If you have, or can get a hold of an RGB, you can flip it around, facing backward, set it at an angle, [ operating in reverse parallel to the trenchline] plow the dirt (like snow) into the trench.
Switch sides and repeat.

/ Ditch Filler
SkunkWerX said:
If you have, or can get a hold of an RGB, you can flip it around, facing backward, set it at an angle, [ operating in reverse parallel to the trenchline] plow the dirt (like snow) into the trench.
Switch sides and repeat.

SkunkWerx,

That is exactly what I'm talking about building for the FEL. Do you think it would work the same if I it were on front?

Greg

/ Ditch Filler #7  
valleydweller1 said:
SkunkWerx,

That is exactly what I'm talking about building for the FEL. Do you think it would work the same if I it were on front?

Greg

Well, it would probably work, but will be a lot of fabrication. RGBs can be had for little money.

Just using your FEL you should be able to fill the trench in about 1/10th the time it will take to fabricate something?? (I think?)

/ Ditch Filler #8  
I have used a snow plow on a tractor to fill small trenches made with a trencher. The soft fine powder made by the trencher is easy to move. However I do not think it will work well filling a trench dug with a backhoe. I do not believe the BX 2230 will do much other than move sideways, it is simply not heavy enough. Particularly if you have heavy soil, you will probably need a dozer to be able to do this.
If you can use a trencher to do the job, rent one. I know it sounds crazy, since you apparently own a backhoe. I own a backhoe and still rent a trencher now and then. Trenchers do a very nice fast job. Less digging, less mess, less settling, less time. Then you can make and use your ditch filler and be relaxing watching the grass grow instead of working.

/ Ditch Filler #9  
I agree - just use your FEL.

You will get the hang of it pretty quick. You can save some time by putting all the spoils to one side of the trench when you dig it so you only have to fill it from the one side.

I usually curl the bucket back push mostly with the bottom of the bucket.

The bucket can also bridge the trench and keep things from getting tippy if the front wheel happens to sink into the trench a bit when filling at an angle.

- Rick

/ Ditch Filler #10  
When filling up french trenches on our land I used back blade at an angle, it worked like a charm.