Ditching my tractor for a skid steer

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #11  
If you don't like the idea of a compact tractor with rear mounted mast forklift, and still prefer the idea of a proper loading shovel, then the Avant range of compact loaders may suit your needs better than a skidsteer? They are rear-wheel or pivot steer so don't cut up the ground and can take a large number of attachments (I think they even do conversion plates to use bobcat equipment).

Compact Loaders: AVANT Tecno USA :thumbsup:

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #12  
I would do it in an instant IF there was no need to maneuver on the lawn.

Whenever I've had access to both a SkidSteer and Tractor at the same time, I've always chosen the SS for any FEL-based work (bucket or forks) and for some tasks that would use a rear-blade or box-scraper on the tractor (including cleaning up gravel areas). I've found SS's to be much better at loader work because they are purpose built for it. Highly maneuverable, typically strong hydraulics/load limit for the SS footprint, low center-of-gravity, built-in balance/counter-weight - and perhaps, most importantly, excellent line-of-sight from the seat to the bucket/forks (but lousy behind and to the side)

If I owned both, I'm not sure I'd ever use the FEL on the tractor. Nothing beats the tractor for overall versatility and multi-purpose tasks but if your needs have narrowed to the point you've described, I think your investigation is wise.

The other comments about tearing up the lawn are very accurate. If you plan to use that high maneuverability on the lawn, you'll be in constant lawn repair mode. You can certainly travel on the lawn and slow gentle turns are possible that leave no more mark than a tractor - like most things it just takes some practice and a fine touch.

My 2 cents.

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #13  
I might also look at telehandlers and wheel loaders in addition to skid steers.

Aaron Z

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #14  
Was talking to a local contractor this week that runs a large Cat SS. After the rain we have had this week he is not even venturing out with the SS. It would just make a mud hole. He did some work for me around my house. Afterwards I resodded to put the lawn back into shape.

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #16  
I like the forklift idea mentioned, and if you could truly get a good used all terrain forklift for 10k it may be worth it. Then downsize the tractor to still have all the versatility you had before. You said the only reason you have such a large tractor is for the fel capacity, maybe a smaller one is in order and with the forklift to do the unloading.

Where I used to work we had 5k Linde diesel forklifts, and while not all-terrain... they did have some decent tires on them and did just fine in gravel/dirt, though I would not take them into mud. The forklifts we have where I work now are a size smaller and propane, a similar design but with indoor/warehouse "slicks" on them and would probably get stuck in the grass.

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #17  
Skid steers: I see them used around here on concrete floors in barns and warehouses and at job sites before the landscaping is installed.

Get yourself a wheel loader and forget about skid steers. My neighbor uses an old Allis Chalmers 545 wheel loader to handle the big stuff too large for his JD 2640.

AC545 wheel loader.jpg

Good luck

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #18  
One of the biggest drawbacks for using a skid steer for forklift applications is their instability in the lateral axis with a heavy load raised high. Add that to the fact that they tend to be rather 'jerky' can lead to upsets. Forklifts ease in and out with inching valves or wet clutches that allow you to move without transmitting a sudden force up the moment arm to the load.
<---- My forklift is an old 5k Hyster I got from work real cheap. It has pneumatic tires and does pretty good on gravel and dirt, even the lawn when it's dry enough. Granted, this picture was taken when it was stuck in the yard, but I did get out a little too early in the season. I also have an old M700 Bobcat, so I'm fortunate in not having to make either one do double duty outside of its intended venue.

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #19  
I have or at least use 4 of the 5 options at least weekly. I hate the tractor loader, only use it when I'm sitting on it already or its warm already. I love the skid steer, use it as much as possible, tears up the ground a little but if you get used to it you can minimize the damages, new all wheel steer are better than a tractor in that regard. If you use it regularly they can be pretty smooth and inching is remarkably easy, especially with the new joystick controls. As long as you are not pushing to the limit they are pretty stable. I hate the forklift, stuck on a wet turd, even the rough terain one isn't great. I also have a forklift that goes on the back of a tractor with mast ect. That is no better than the regular forklift. I like the telehandler but it will likely be as big as your 95 hp and not nearly as versitile, although better for pallets. We use telehandlers all the time at work and they are nice machines. I have never tried a small payloader but think that may be a good option as well. Most mini loaders I am familiar with have skid steer adapters and are compatible with most skid steer attachments.

/ Ditching my tractor for a skid steer #20  
I was really interest in a 1995 Case 1838 skid steer with 2700 hours for $6800 with steel tracks on the rubber tires and a clam shell. SS's are so cool but with only 15 acres and a lot of clearing and dirt moving I decided in part just to stick with what we have that is working today. As noted on the side that is the 1983 JD 310B backhoe, 265 MF with 8' box blade, breaking plows, 9' 3PH disc, grader blade and a heavy duty 7' bush hog type cutter and the F700 with 16' flat dump.

With no time line and if something breaks it can wait to be fixed we can do all we need to do even if not has handy and fast as having other types of machines. With only $20K tied up we can do all there is to do even it it takes some time. There is so much parking space too.

Some did not grow up with it but at the end of the day old iron is about as good as it gets to get the jobs done and at a low cost.

It would be nice to have a skid steer in the mix but I do not want to give up the naked 1976 265 MF with 1300 hours total and all family hours because we have step hills or give up the BH that sees more hours than the MF.