DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #51  
Just found this thread. Bought my tractor on Monday and asked about the 50 hour service. Dealer said If I bring it in pay for the fluids, the labor is free. He also said that I could do it myself. He showed me all the filters that need changed. Also was told the same story as MidwestSCUT about filter only on hydraulic oil. Also no warranty issues.

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #52  
Greetings,

Right from the GC1700 operator's manual. Page 4-3

There is Maintenance and Lubrication chart.

Column 1 has the following groupings:

After first 5o hours

Daily

50 hours

100 hours

250 hours

Yearly

The transmisdion oil & filter and front axle are to be changed After first 50 hours and after 250 hours.

The After first 50 Hours is a separate part from "every" 50 hours.

If the dealer us misreading or disregarding the manufacturer . . why?

If the dealer made a deal with you to do the 50 service for free labor . . I'd buy a 5 gallon bucket of Permatran 821xl and have them do the labor on it for free. Copy page 4-3 and take it to him.

All I can say is doing what the manual says at breakin is perfectly logical for newly manufactured equipment. Why would anyone risk something as important and expensive as a front axle or transmission . . For 75 or 90 dollars worth of hydro oil ? It would be different if you were substituting a regular fluid for a superior fluid . . but to change a 30+ dollar filter and not the 75 dollar fluid makes no reasonable sense to me . . especually when no front axle filter exists.

Again . . Page 4-3 of the GC1700 iperatirs manual.

Thanks for listening

All, jmho

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #53  
Manual defntely talks about front drive and hydro being changed. The idea is the hydro fluid can run along time BUT the first time has the residue of manufacturing and assembly to deal with. In addition, the first time the fluids are changed it assures that fluid levels are properly filled after iniial operating times. Kubota as an example used to see some front axle issues because their bx units would show delivery fuid levels acceptable and 20 hours f uuse and the fluid levels drop because air gaps had been worked out of the front end. I can't imajne why someone would chanfe the filter and not the fluid in the hdro . . because once its done . . You have 20 more hoursto do ut again.

I changed all my fluids and filters at 50 hours. The hydro fluid was quite brown and easy to see in the sight glass. Now have 211 hours on the clock and the hydro fluid is still so clean it's difficult to see in the glass. I am a firm believer in regular fluid and filter changes. Also believe my Tundra with 289,346 miles on it is testimony enough. 😛

Jeff

.ebay.com

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #54  
If I ever buy a new tractor, I would only change the oil in the transmission earily, to put synthetic in it. Otherwise, I would not change it, until it reaches the regular 250 hour interval. Even 250 hours is nothing, unless you operate in extremely dirty conditions all the time.

The oil that came out of my tractor at 50 hours, was brand new. (It only had 50 hours on it). It was clean, and clear. That's what the filter, and screen are for, they did a wonderful job.

Many manufacturers have eliminated the 50 hour, it's old school thinking. MF should too.

Yes, some will say it's necessary. You have at it then. But, why wait until 50 hours? Why not do a 5 hour, a 25 hour, and, again at 50? And then, every 100? Why? Because there is such a thing, as too much. I believe the 50 hour is also too much.

As far as the dealer offering to provide the labor, that's nice. But, there is an old saying about if you want things done right...

No one will put in the time checking the entire unit over, that you can. It's not hard work, and it's important.

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #55  
Where the freak is the transmission suction filter. Imtook both wheels off cause the manual says left. So is it on the side where the pto controls are or on the other wide where the transmission hi and low are. I see the diagram in the manual but cant make out witch bolt it is. Anyone have a picture? Im doing the 50 hr now and taking pictures as i move along.

Their no pictures in this thread!

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #56  
Rookies need visual aid lol.. But the manual picture just doesnt do it for me.

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #57  
Rookies need visual aid lol.. But the manual picture just doesnt do it for me.

Someone did post a picture, at one point.

I'll look for it for you.

It's a large hex head, like around 1". (Haven't had mine off, in many years).

It faces the inside of the left wheel.

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #58  
I assume you saw this?

suction filter.JPG

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #60  
Also while doing some work i found out that my 3pt arms dont want to go down unless i help push them.