DIY Granite countertop?

/ DIY Granite countertop? #1  

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
I'm going to move the granite with my tractor so it's "technically" a tractor project... ;)

Anybody cut, edged and polished their own granite?* Am I crazy to try?* I've got a lot of experience with tile, wood and metal, it looks like stone takes a little bit from each.

Long story short, we need a countertop for a small vanity.* We've ordered a couple but, they've shown up broken and haven't really been the granite my wife wanted, just something she was ok with.* We've got a scrap piece from when we had the counters done at the last house that's big enough for this job and I'm thinking I'll just do it myself.* I have most of the tools already, just need a couple hundred dollars worth of additional stuff but, the countertops we were buying are $190 so, it's really money ahead in the long run if I can do it since we still have another bathroom and a kitchen to do.

What am I missing?

/ DIY Granite countertop? #2  
Have you ever gotten a quote for someone to do it for you with your existing piece of granite?

/ DIY Granite countertop? #3  
Go to a granite shop and give them the specs, have them mill it. It takes a lot of polishing with lubricant to set the cuts, let them use their tools and expertise.

/ DIY Granite countertop?
Have you ever gotten a quote for someone to do it for you with your existing piece of granite?
No but honestly, I'd rather do it myself if it's possible. Not only do I save some money, especially when we get to the kitchen, it'll also be pretty satisfying to have done it ourselves. The only things we've hired out so far have been the HVAC and part of the drywall float/tape/texture. The drywall that we've done looks a lot better than what we paid the "pros" for...

/ DIY Granite countertop? #5  
I think you’re crazy. How do you plan on cutting it? They use enormous saws to cut the slabs off. Even if you managed that how are you going to polish it and keep the surface flat. Then you’ve got to put a round over on the edges and polish that. It’s a ridiculous project to even consider with homeowner tools IMO. I don’t expect you’ll get much farther trying to get a granite shop to use your granite because I’ve never seen one with a saw big enough to slab it.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #6  
I think you’re crazy. How do you plan on cutting it? They use enormous saws to cut the slabs off. Even if you managed that how are you going to polish it and keep the surface flat. Then you’ve got to put a round over on the edges and polish that. It’s a ridiculous project to even consider with homeowner tools IMO. I don’t expect you’ll get much farther trying to get a granite shop to use your granite because I’ve never seen one with a saw big enough to slab it.

WOW! Crab cakes for dinner? :laughing:

I think you may have not read that he already has a countertop piece from a previous house that's close to the correct size. All he'd need is a/some masonry blade(s) on a circular saw to get it really close to rough dimension. Maybe rent a wet saw. He could rough out the sink opening with those tools as well. And an angle grinder with masonry discs as well. Then wet sand the heck out of it with ever finer grits.

However, I do think he should get some quotes from pros first.

/ DIY Granite countertop?
I'll cut it with a diamond wheel on an angle grinder while trickling a water hose on it, just like they did when they cut this piece out on site for the sink.

Rounding over uses diamond "router" bits and water. Polishing is essentially the same process as restoring a headlight or polishing paint, just using different wheels and compounds.

Watch this video series, it really doesn't look that complicated - How to cut Granite/working with granite part 1 - YouTube

Here's a fairly inexpensive wet router/polisher - Wet Polisher 3/4" Ogee 20mm Bullnose Router Bit 28 Pad 2 Buff Concrete Granite | eBay I doubt it would hold up to full time professional use but, it should do a couple of bathrooms and a kitchen.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #10  
I'll cut it with a diamond wheel on an angle grinder while trickling a water hose on it, just like they did when they cut this piece out on site for the sink.

Rounding over uses diamond "router" bits and water. Polishing is essentially the same process as restoring a headlight or polishing paint, just using different wheels and compounds.

Watch this video series, it really doesn't look that complicated - How to cut Granite/working with granite part 1 - YouTube

Here's a fairly inexpensive wet router/polisher - Wet Polisher 3/4" Ogee 20mm Bullnose Router Bit 28 Pad 2 Buff Concrete Granite | eBay I doubt it would hold up to full time professional use but, it should do a couple of bathrooms and a kitchen.

You're looking at several hundred dollars worth of tools for a job that might only cost a couple hundred to have done professionally using your existing piece of granite.