DIY Home built compact tractor

/ DIY Home built compact tractor
RyanL said:
Well all this looks very familiar. I also took a 1948 jeep cj-2a axle and narrowed it up to be about 3ft wide, and i am now in the process of mounting it into a older sear garden tractor which i have modified, with 30" tall skid steer tires on the rear, 24" tall tires on the front, a 12hp liquid cooled kubota diesel, rear disk brakes, hyd. 3-point, a steering box from a combine, and other wierd ideas,lol. Keep us up to date on your progress seems like a good project.

Cool, What gear reduction ratio do you have? I was thinking of converting to rear disc brakes, but then I wouldent have an e-brake (like with drum).
What did/ are you using for the 3pt pump and spline?
Thanks, Tim

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #12  
Well the front axle has 3.50 ratio or something around there, and the rear is the stock transaxle with the 3 forward 1 reverse and high and low. I am just probally put a lock lever of some-sort to hold the brake pedal down for the park brake. This is just a toy and not for any real use. I have bigger compact, and farm tractors for that,lol I ain't got everything done yet, i just graduated high school a yr ago and am now working 60 hrs a week operating heavy equipment in a coal mine, so its enough to keep a 19 yr old busy,lol

The 3-point pump i am going to use is a high pressure power steering pump off a car, and mount it so it drives off the front crank pully of the engine using a rubber flex coupler. Or i might use a hyd. pump and resoivor that is made together its off a old gleaner combine, but is bigger, and bulky.

Hi guys, Well I finally found an engine donor. Its a 81 VW Dasher Diesel.
The engine is longitudinal, but can be easely changed to take the transvers front WD transmission.
I spent part of the day trying to get it to start. It almost starts but then my weak battery peters out.
It sounds like its only hitting on one cyl.

trac10.jpg

This car came with the perfect radaitor, tall and narrow with an elect fan already mounted and has a thermo switch!
trac11.jpg

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #14  
GT2 Something that might be easier than using the VW transaxle would be to use the Zuk tranny and transfer case. Rocky Road (Offroad products for the serious offroad enthusiast!) make a swap kit to put the VW diesel in the Zuk. I think you can get the trans adapter seperatly. Sure would simplfy matching axel ratios plus you can get lockers for the Suk axels

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #15  
Does anyone know of a cheap 4x4 on which i can perform the axle narrowing trick, with an automatic transmission ? were the Zuks sold with auto trannies ? I have a front wheel drive transaxle with ZF 4 speed automatic, and engine of a Volvo 440 turbo diesel which i might turn into a small payloader to clean out horse stables. I just have a problem with the diff, which will provide as much traction as the wheel with the least amount of grip has... I dont like opening it up and weld the diff together... though it might be a good idea to use double reduction, to save the automatic transmission which might get really hot... an automatic gives me a torque converter and powershuttle reverse in one...

I am following this project with interest,.. :)

Redball said:
GT2 Something that might be easier than using the VW transaxle would be to use the Zuk tranny and transfer case. Rocky Road (Offroad products for the serious offroad enthusiast!) make a swap kit to put the VW diesel in the Zuk. I think you can get the trans adapter seperatly. Sure would simplfy matching axel ratios plus you can get lockers for the Suk axels
I had thought of that, however the drive train gets a little long that way.
Using the transverse box, its more compact and I get the added reduction from the ring and pinion in the gear box as well (hopefully its enough).
I still need to reduce the rear axle ratio because of the larger tires.:)

I got the engine out this weekend (never did get it started, however I'm going to go thru and freshen it up later anyway).
I bolted the transverse gear box on and layed it out to see what it looks like.
This is a 6' wheel base, does that sound about right?
trac13-1.jpg

A shot from the rear, I still have to narrow the rear axle.
trac12.jpg

trac16.jpg

From the front.
trac15.jpg

From the side that the drive lines come off the trans.
trac14.jpg

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #18  
too cool

/ DIY Home built compact tractor #19  
Nice project!

Is that a transfer case in the pic above or is that the FWD VW dasher transmission? It looks to be a fwd transmission.

I think you could use the fwd transmission, but you will need to open it up and weld the differential gears together or else when the front or rear axle loses traction, it will double its spinning rate and no power will go to the axle with traction.

If its not the dasher transmission, is the starter bolted to the engine block or will you have to find a starter that will turn the vw diesel flywheel through that hole in the trans?

Looks like a challenge, but when you finish, you can be that much prouder of what you made and the obstacles you overcame to get there!! Keep up the good work!

KYErik said:
Nice project!

Is that a transfer case in the pic above or is that the FWD VW dasher transmission? It looks to be a fwd transmission.

I think you could use the fwd transmission, but you will need to open it up and weld the differential gears together or else when the front or rear axle loses traction, it will double its spinning rate and no power will go to the axle with traction.

If its not the dasher transmission, is the starter bolted to the engine block or will you have to find a starter that will turn the vw diesel flywheel through that hole in the trans?

Looks like a challenge, but when you finish, you can be that much prouder of what you made and the obstacles you overcame to get there!! Keep up the good work!
It is actually a Rabbit transmission (yes FWD), the Dasher trans is not transverse.
Yes I plan on welding the spider gears in the diff. I will probably put lockers in the axles also (limited slip type).
The starter bolts to the hole in the trans. I had to use the Rabbit flywheel as well.
Thanks for the encouragement. So far things are going smooth, knock wood.:)