DIY logging winch build

/ DIY logging winch build #191  
Yes, this is an application that absolutely must "fail safe". If power or hydraulic pressure is lost, the design must revert to the disengaged state rather than engaged or remaining engaged (even if only partially).

What I've been contemplating is having the hydraulic cylinder push against a spring that would retract the cam lever to the off position. This way you only need pressure to engage the clutch and if anything fails it disengages it.

Similar to what is done with the brakes on a semi trailer: There are springs that hold the brakes on. The pneumatic hook up from the cab holds the brakes off (unless the driver presses the brakes). If the pnuematic pressure is lost, the trailer brakes lock up.

/ DIY logging winch build #192  
This type from a hydraulic trailer brake sould work on a winch, its quite small

sylinder.jpg

/ DIY logging winch build
Ok here's today's thought. I want to reinforce the back side of the sprocket like in the factory one does in the link.
I should probably ask in the welding section but what's the best way to keep the sprocket to not warp while I weld some reinforcement on it?
v6b7paCl.jpg

I want to either stack some discs in steps or maybe some tapered fins, I do have to mind the clutch bolts.
Here's the link again if it works
Homemade Loader forks Beautiful Skidding Winch Need Bigger Tractor | Kitchen Set

/ DIY logging winch build #195  
I was cleaning out my files this AM and came across the manual for the Farmi winch I owned briefly. I don't know if the enclosed parts diagram is any use to you.

Attachments

• Winch.JPG
    Winch.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 236
   / DIY logging winch build #196  
This type from a hydraulic trailer brake sould work on a winch, its quite small

View attachment 546603

The problem with pneumatics is that you'd need an air supply and you'd also have icing issues with the time of year we're usually cutting/logging.

Hydraulics have more control (no sponginess in engagement), and are more maintenance free on small sealed systems.

/ DIY logging winch build #197  
Yes, and those cylinders are very suitable for this task.

/ DIY logging winch build
Here is today's update!
I made some new ramps out of 2.5" DOM .250 wall that I had. I made a double ramp so I'm hoping that it will work. I also reinforced the other side of the winch with a piece of 4" channel, I think it will help. I can't wait to test it out.
BTW I put the clutch back in, at least that had some grip...LOL I can put some serious force on it now.
GRvDBGc.jpg

bVLWVEc.jpg

7jQsaBm.jpg

PgaC03W.jpg

bY0Kuj2.jpg

/ DIY logging winch build #199  
Yes, and those cylinders are very suitable for this task.

Truck air systems are under 175psi, while the Wallenstein hydraulic remote system uses 800psi on a 2" cylinder (to retract the rod to engage, so the weak side - but still).

/ DIY logging winch build #200  
Truck air systems are under 175psi, while the Wallenstein hydraulic remote system uses 800psi on a 2" cylinder (to retract the rod to engage, so the weak side - but still).

Truck air systems 120psi ,safety on the air tank blows off at 150psi