DIY tree shear

/ DIY tree shear #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I've had this 4" x 14" stroke cylinder kicking around for 10 years. I got to looking at tree shears online and decided since I already have front remote, why not? LOL I was gifted a piece of cutting edge from the local highway dept. which I used for the blade. A little work with the plasma cutter and a 7" grinder got it sharp enough.
I don't have a need or place to use it on my little half acre but figured my friend that owns a 100 acres and a pond might find it useful.
I still need to add a couple of upright pieces and maybe something on the bottom to help strengthen that.
I did cut a 5" hard hack with it with no issues.
It has ssqa

Attachments

• 20230830_105433 (1).jpg
    20230830_105433 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 204
  • 20230829_175008 (1).jpg
    20230829_175008 (1).jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 205
Last edited:
   / DIY tree shear #7  
How about adding a center bracket on top - left and right sides with two small leaf springs with some old tire tread attached to grab the trees you are cutting?

Sort of like the commercial tree shears with jaws but simpler.

/ DIY tree shear #8  
Shooting high-powered lasers that can slice through a tree up into the air. Hmmm...hope there are no planes overhead... What could possibly go wrong? 😲

/ DIY tree shear #9  
They even invented a laser for it that you can see the entire path just like in Star Wars!
A red laser powerful enough to cut through a 4 inch diameter tree at the distance in the video would be visible in daylight. There is enough dust in the air to guarantee that. I can see my green laser pointer beam at night. It is supposed to be less than 5 milliwatts but I suspect it is more like 10mW. It is fun to use it to light up tree tops at night. You can see the beam just like a Star Wars movie.
Eric