DIY wire hose clamps

/ DIY wire hose clamps #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
There are devices for sale on the web that tighten wire clamps around hoses and various YouTube presentations that show ways to make differeny versions of these tools. To me they seem to be technology that might be handy and economical if someone needed many clamps to be applied in a space with plenty of room to work.

Does anyone here have one of these devices and use it on a regular basis? What is your application?

/ DIY wire hose clamps #2  
I have a box of clamping tool pliers and maybe use it monthly.

I use it for things not hose related often where some would use s/s style clamps or small ratchet strap would be used on semi permanent basis.

Much of my stuff is pretty old so:
- handles of spades, pitch forks, rakes, etc.... around where the blade/tines, etc... attach to the handle to snug them up.
- around round wooden fence posts or trees when I want to hang something on the post like a badger or coon box.

so kinda where strap/clamp/etc... would do but a homemade wire clamp super cheap/easy and always flexible to whatever size I need like around an 8" fencepost.

/ DIY wire hose clamps
Thank you for answering exactly the questions I asked. The tool seems to be well suited to your purposes. Some of the clunkier DIY versions look like they'd be a hassle to work with in a crowded engine compartment.

/ DIY wire hose clamps #4  
These?
CLT01_C_1024x1024@2x.webp

They are a neat tool, but I don't like them for hoses as I find that using wire rather than a broad strap is more detrimental to the hose. Do I think that the are useful? You bet! They are a quick way to get hose back on in the event of a clamp failure; I just don't leave them on for any longer than it takes to get to a real hose clamp. So, great to have in the bottom of toolbox, just in case. I prefer either the spring loaded self tensioning ones for radiator hoses, or the clamps with rounded edges to protect hoses. YMMV...

All the best,

Peter

/ DIY wire hose clamps
Those are the ones, thanks for the photo. That one looks to be one two two I've seen best suited for tight spaces. I'm partial to the spring type for work around hot engines, they expand and contract with the hose and plastic male nipple jnside.

Last edited:
   / DIY wire hose clamps #6  
I can do 'em, but it seems as I've aged my skin cannot take me getting into positions to do it.
For less than $20 I got a cabled clamp installer - what they called a pistol grip, like a grease gun, a foot or so of cable, and a mechanism that grabs both points of the clamp and holds them together. Beautiful, cheap lil' tool that my skin really appreciates.

Last edited:
   / DIY wire hose clamps
I can do 'em, but it seems as I've aged my skin cannot take me getting into positions to do it.
For less than $20 I got a cabled clamp installer - what they called a pistol grip, like a grease gun, a foot or so of cable, and a mechanism that grabs both points of the clamp and holds them together. Beautiful, cheap lil' tool that my skin really appreciates.
Some say skin gets thinner with age. That could be why I have bandages on three fingers right now.
I'm not sure I'm visualizing the cabled clamp installer tool. Can you put up a link?

/ DIY wire hose clamps #10  
I've had one of those for a good many years, mainly for water pumping and big hose fittings. In particular securing camlock fittings into 1 1/2" HDPE pipe. To fit those barbed aluminium fittings, I need to heat the end of the pipe in boiling water for 20 seconds or so to soften it enough to bang in the fitting. Then "to be sure, to be sure" I use the Clamptite tool with s/steel wire to ensure it NEVER slips off!

A ready supply of many different sized conventional hose clamps would be quicker, but this tool and a coil of s/steel wire is a very handy standby.

I agree though that it'd be a right PITA to use in a confined space.