DK 40 Steering Frozen

/ DK 40 Steering Frozen #1  

JohninCT

Platinum Member
Tractor
Struck Magnatrac 6000, Kioti DK40SE
I just wanted to relay an experience that happened today when I went to use the tractor to move some snow. The tractor lives in a tent garage and it was pretty cold out (was in teens overnight). It has some snow that blew in from the high winds and the degraded front flap door on the tent garage. Brushed it off and started the engine up no problem. I tried to turn the steering wheel but it was frozen solid. Wouldn't turn at all. I didn't try to force it I just moved it straight out of the tent a little ways and let the engine run for about 20 minutes or so. When I came back after that time all was fine, steering was normal and I went to work.

/ DK 40 Steering Frozen #2  
This has happened several times in the past to myself and other Kioti owners.
Kioti did have a fix for this. Call your dealer.
If you don't want to do that all you will have to do is take the steering colum apart to access the steering motor once you access the motor you will need to take the bolts out that mounts the motor and tip the motor out of it's mount, then you will see the lip which is actually retains water and that is what freezes. All we have done in the past was take a all purpose grease and built the low spot up so the water wouldn't lay and freeze, never had no problems after that.

/ DK 40 Steering Frozen
Hey thanks for the info Rick! :) I'll probably just live with it. I'm hoping that there's no real harm in doing that is there? It's too cold and snowy to do anything with it right now.

/ DK 40 Steering Frozen #4  
No you just have to wait till it warms up enought to melt. No harm done everything is on the out side.

/ DK 40 Steering Frozen #5  
I have had the steering lock on me too but wasn't frozen. I turned the tractor off and restarted it and steering was fine. First time it wasn't that cold out. Talked to the dealer and he said that there is a spring that may be sticking in there.

/ DK 40 Steering Frozen
I have had the steering lock on me too but wasn't frozen. I turned the tractor off and restarted it and steering was fine. First time it wasn't that cold out. Talked to the dealer and he said that there is a spring that may be sticking in there.

Thanks for that info PA. This is the 1st time that this has ever happened. I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if anything similar happens when the weather is warmer. Hopefully NOT! :D

/ DK 40 Steering Frozen #7  
Must admit my kioti's cold weather performance has been excellent so far

Will be running her this am just as soon as I climb out of my warm cacoon

Joel