Loader DK 55 200 hour inspection...

/ DK 55 200 hour inspection... #1  

smithdenny

Tractor
kioti dx55
On doing my 200 hour inspection on a DK55, I was very surprised to find 18 of the 20 bolts securing the FEL bracket to the tractor were loose. The rearmost two bolts were unscrewed about 1 inch, close to falling out. One bolt on the left side of the tractor were out about a half inch. I had trouble reinstalling that bolt. All of the threaded holes seemed to be tapered threated holes. This hole seemed to be tapered too much as it was very difficult to reinstall properly. After running the bolt is as far as I could using a hand ratchet, removing the bolt to clean and reinstalling again for over an hour I was finally able to seat it. No, not cross threaded, it seemed to just be tapered too small. Two other slightly loose bolts seemed to get tighter as I tried to loosen to the point I simply retighten them instead of possibly damaging threads. All of the rest of the bolts I were able to remove and reinstalled using blue Loctite as well as the original lock washers.

On a another issue, I have had problems with greasing three of the pins on the FEL. Two of those pins seem to require high pressure from the battery powered grease gun but are greaseable. One pin never seemed to be greaseable. That is, the gun would pump grease out the high pressure (10,000 lbs.) relief value but never around the pin. Yet the zerk fitting always would release grease if the ball valve was pressed. On earlier attempts to grease I had wondered if the pin could possible be that tight being new? Today I removed the pin to inspect and found there were no relief hole from the interior well of the pin to the outside face of the pin. Grease could go in but not out. After drilling such a hole it seems to be working fine. Should have checked it earlier. And will remove and inspect the other two higher pressure pins ASAP.

I am a tractor newbe, this is my first and only tractor. I love this Kioti but am dismayed over these issues. Is this common with others experiences? Or with other brands? As far as usage I have operated this tractor about 125 hours over the last 12 months mostly brush hogging, spreading half inch gravel with the FEL and light back dragging with FEL to level loose gravel and soil.

/ DK 55 200 hour inspection... #2  
Never had any of those issues with my DK 35.
The dealer generally installs the loaders. Doesn't sound like they were properly torqued.

/ DK 55 200 hour inspection... #3  
Never had the same problems you experienced on your Kioti, but I did find after 60 days, all my wheel lug nuts on my CK4010 had become loose, and even lost one lug.

Torqued all the lug nuts back to specs, and everything has been good. Apparently, it's not too uncommon on many tractors to see wheel lug nuts work loose. You should check that yours are at Torque specs.

/ DK 55 200 hour inspection... #4  
What is the loader model on your DK55?

/ DK 55 200 hour inspection... #5  
On my NX had a few loose lug nuts and a few loose on loader frame. I don't think it's unusual. I try to regularly check them. Now at just over 300 hours, they no longer get loose.

/ DK 55 200 hour inspection... #6  
I've owned two JD's, one Kubota and two Kioti's - and yes I've found loose lugs / loader bolts on all of them - they need to be checked and torqued regularly - I normally do it spring / fall dependent on use, if I use it more I may check them three or four times a year, and unfortunately I have found missing grease fittings / fittings not installed properly etc etc just the nature of ownership - lack of care at dealer or assembly.........

/ DK 55 200 hour inspection...
What is the loader model on your DK55?

The loader is a model KL551. As suggested by DK35vince I assume the loader was installed by the dealer and possible not torqued properly? I will recheck the torque at my next service. I also do need to check the lugs, will do that asap. At the moment I have the shop emptied prepping the floor for paint. Tractor and mowers are currently stored in the house garage with the cars outside in the weather. Thanks to all who responded to my original rant!

Just a follow up on this thread. After spreading gravel for another 12 hours after my 200 hour inspection, I found 2 very slightly loose bolts on the FEL. May need to tighten with an impact wrench instead of my hand. Found all lug nuts secured, so no issues there. Did find one additional pivot pin on the FEL without a grease release hole like the pin I mentioned in my opening post, so two pins total with no grease release hole.

I still love my Kioti... just maybe not in lust with it as much as the day I purchased it! Thanks to all who responded above.

/ DK 55 200 hour inspection... #9  
Are you using torque wrench or just hand tightening

Are you using torque wrench or just hand tightening

Currently simply hand tightening. I am in the process of setting up a shop to work in. When finished and tools (including torque wrench) are finally unpacked I will measure the torque on the loader mounting bolts if I can find the specs for them. I used an impact wrench on the lug nuts with the setting at 300 lbs, the closest available setting to the recommended 240 lbs.