DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question)

/ DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question)
Thanks all for the help. I have a 2003-2004 DK35. I did get the manual, but it is not very good.
I took some pics,
This is the left side. Same as the other side.
20130310_120636.jpg
This is under the axle (Center)
20130310_120818.jpg

Lower unit (not sure what its called)
20130310_120849.jpg

Not sure what this large bolt does
20130310_120721 (1).jpg

The sight glasses look very dirty. I cant tell the level of oil.

/ DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question) #12  
My dealer always includes the 50 hr service , so I didn't do it myself, but I was there and took notes when they did the service on my CK30. According to what he told me, you can't overfill as long as it's on flat ground because the oil will seep out an overflow port. I'm assuming that would be the check/fill plug.

/ DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question) #13  
It's been 2 years since I changed the front axle oil, so my recollection is a little vague. However, I think I removed all the three large fill plugs: one on the top of the right axle, and two near the top of the bevel gear housings. I also removed the plug containing the site glass facing rearward on the left axle.

Then drained the oil by removing the small plugs at the bottom of the two bevel gear housings. After draining, I replaced the drain plugs and filled by the large plug on the top of the right axle. I may have also put some oil in the plugs at the top of the bevel gear housings, but I don't think so.

I left the sight glass plug out and filled slowly until I saw oil starting to come from the sight glass plug hole. Then replaced the sight glass plug, and topped it up so the ball was in the middle of the sight glass.

The last thing I did was replace the three large fill plugs.

I probably added more oil one or two times later(after operating the tractor) to bring the ball into the sight glass center.

SirRobinHood: the new DK SE's don't have the drain plug at centre of the axle.

I'm due for the 400 hr service(actually 4 hrs overdue). I'll likely do the hydraulic and engine oil and filters soon, but will wait until it is warmer to do the front axle--likely in a couple of weeks.

/ DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question) #14  
Pulling the sight glass plug sounds like a good idea, otherwise one can spend a lot of time trying to get to almost full enough. By removing the sight glass plug it allows you to know when you're close and then top off after re-installing it. I like that idea a lot! It also lets one clean the sight glass to help keep an eye on the level in the axle.
Thanks, KCO - good one:thumbsup:

/ DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question)
Ok so I pull the lower plugs left and right on the bevel housing and center plug under axle. Drain oil. Pull sight glass off, open fill plug on top of axle and fill until the oil comes out of sight glass holes. Put sight glass plugs in and continue to fill until ball is center. You fill on only one side of axle correct? This should fill the whole axle housing (Both sides)? This will be about 2 gallons of oil?

/ DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question) #16  
Yes that will fill both sides, my DK is 1.9.

/ DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question) #17  
Ok so I pull the lower plugs left and right on the bevel housing and center plug under axle. Drain oil. Pull sight glass off, open fill plug on top of axle and fill until the oil comes out of sight glass holes. Put sight glass plugs in and continue to fill until ball is center. You fill on only one side of axle correct? This should fill the whole axle housing (Both sides)? This will be about 2 gallons of oil?

Yes, good summary. (Only one sight glass, clean it while it's out.) Fill till ball in center of red circle, then drive it and recheck in case of air bubbles, etc., make sure all plugs are snug and no leaks. Done.

/ DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question) #18  
I take the top caps off the axle pivot housing. This gives me a nice big hole to pour oil in. Takes very little time. Caps have a o ring seal, so don't get dirt in there, use a paper towel to clean before reassembly.

/ DK35 Axle oil.(Dumb Question) #19  
It has warmed up so I did the 400 hour service yesterday.

It was 5 C (41 F) in the morning. I travelled to cut wood with a neighbour so the tractor was well warmed up by noon, when I changed all the fluids. The air temp was 10 C (50 F) then, and warmed to 15 C (59 F) shortly after.

I don't know what the front axle oil temp would be, but it flowed like corn syrup. It took almost 2 hours to completely drain.

Seeing this, I warmed the two 5 liter jugs of gear oil by placing them in hot water in the kitchen sink (fortunately my wife is away for a few days). I changed the hot water a few times while I did other servicing and waited for the front axles to drain. The heating worked great with the oil pouring like motor oil.