DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!!

/ DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!! #1  

tracstarman

Older Dk35 that has always had issues after rain...

It'll start up after rain but then smoke white and die... I always used to drain the fuel out of the tank (and see water globules in it, so I think that is the root cause of the problem), empty the fuel out of the filter, give it some fresh fuel, and pop the 3 fuel injection lines... turn the motor over and watch milky white fuel come out of those 3 ports in the attached picture until it was clear. Then it would work fine. So I THINK the root cause of the problem is rain is getting into the fuel tank some how? Condensation? Thoughts on that?

Well now I'm not getting any fuel to move...

- I see fuel coming from the tank to the bottom of the round thing in the picture (is that a mechanical fuel pump?).
- I see fuel pumping from that round thing up to the filter (appears to be one pump per each rotation of the engine?)
- But then I dont see any fuel coming from the filter down into that port that is exposed where the hose is hanging off...

What am I missing? What do I look at next?

Attachments

• IMG_4340.JPG
    IMG_4340.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4306.JPG
    IMG_4306.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
   / DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!! #2  
Sure looks like your filter sediment bowl has moisture or crud in it. Is it possible the filter is frozen due to moisture?

/ DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!! #3  
In addition to RustyA's suggestion, there is frequently a mesh screen in the fuel flow of sediment bowl filters. Remove the filter, drain bowl, flush filter head and lines. In the past, I have blown low pressure compressed air through fuel lines, but I wouldn't blow towards the lift pump, injector pump, or injectors on general principle.
I've never seen water accumulation through condensation. That's not to say it doesn't happen though... I would imagine that weather plays a significant role.
Regardless, you need to resolve the water problem. Keeping the fuel tank full and covering the tractor may be all you need. It's also possible that your fuel handling is allowing water contamination. I filter my fuel from a transfer tank equipped with a water blocking 10u filter.

/ DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!! #4  
Sure looks like your filter sediment bowl has moisture or crud in it. Is it possible the filter is frozen due to moisture?
That is a nasty looking fuel filter; would certainly change that out

/ DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!! #5  
If you keep a tarp over it when not in use, maybe that will help keep the water out of wherever it’s leaking in. Doesn’t fix the problem, of course, but maybe less hassle, at least.

/ DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!!
In addition to RustyA's suggestion, there is frequently a mesh screen in the fuel flow of sediment bowl filters. Remove the filter, drain bowl, flush filter head and lines. In the past, I have blown low pressure compressed air through fuel lines, but I wouldn't blow towards the lift pump, injector pump, or injectors on general principle.
I've never seen water accumulation through condensation. That's not to say it doesn't happen though... I would imagine that weather plays a significant role.
Regardless, you need to resolve the water problem. Keeping the fuel tank full and covering the tractor may be all you need. It's also possible that your fuel handling is allowing water contamination. I filter my fuel from a transfer tank equipped with a water blocking 10u filter.
The fuel filter looks dirty because the housing has been beaten by UV exposure (side cover left off). The filter itself and the bowl is nice and clean with fresh fuel :)

Since I do get fuel TO the filter but not from it, this makes the most sense... I'll pull the bowl off again and see if I can figure out what the obstruction is there.

Just for clarity sake, is the round thing at the bottom the lift pump? Is the injector pump the thing ON the motor that I removed the injector lines from?

/ DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!! #7  
The fuel filter looks dirty because the housing has been beaten by UV exposure (side cover left off). The filter itself and the bowl is nice and clean with fresh fuel :)

Since I do get fuel TO the filter but not from it, this makes the most sense... I'll pull the bowl off again and see if I can figure out what the obstruction is there.

Just for clarity sake, is the round thing at the bottom the lift pump? Is the injector pump the thing ON the motor that I removed the injector lines from?

Yes, the round lower pump is the lift pump. The line you have disconnected is the fuel line to the injection pump.
I assume you're certain you have the fuel valve open on the filter housing right? Stranger things have happened.
I am referring to the low pressure line you have disconnected. The bleeder screw is located there, and is on the injection pump. I'm far from a mechanic, but that's my understanding!
On edit.... I marked up a photo but can't get it to upload :(

Also, I deep sixed the oem water separator on my tractor and replaced it with a Racor 2 micron water separator / filter. They are top notch filters.

Last edited:
   / DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!!
Yes, the round lower pump is the lift pump. The line you have disconnected is the fuel line to the injection pump.
I assume you're certain you have the fuel valve open on the filter housing right? Stranger things have happened.
I am referring to the low pressure line you have disconnected. The bleeder screw is located there, and is on the injection pump. I'm far from a mechanic, but that's my understanding!
On edit.... I marked up a photo but can't get it to upload :(

Also, I deep sixed the oem water separator on my tractor and replaced it with a Racor 2 micron water separator / filter. They are top notch filters.
I think a proper water separator would be a great investment here given my issues... you mind shooting me a link to what you ended up with?

/ DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!! #9  
It's just about unavoidable because the tank is open to the atmosphere. Now you could come up with a cap breather that you close when you shut it down for a long time. Keep the air out: always refill the tank to the brim after use.

/ DK35 no start.. fuel issue? HELP!! #10  
West Marine is one of many places to seek out spin on micronic fuel/water separators. They aren't cheap but they do an excellent job of keeping water out of the fuel flow to the injection pump. As stated ,you need to find and solve your water infiltration point and stop it from continuing. If it's at your fuel tank or wherever it originates. Continuing to have milky fuel sent to your injection pump will ruin it, and wreak engine damage too, eventually. Fuel is combustible - water not so much.