DK40SE Cranks But No Start

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #21  
It is not supposed to work that way, Mine will not crank with the selector in any gear. Tested it this afternoon. when I got on it and tried to started it up, and without thinking I just turned the key, and it would not crank, it was in L, moved the lever to N and she fired right up. No smoking no sputtering, but it is NOT cold here, must be at least 60 degrees, what a contrast to yesterday, never got above 34, and windy, misty and followed by a cold rain most of the night, but when the sun came out about 10 this morning, it really warmed up. I could be wrong, but my personal feeling is that your no start problem has nothing to do with the range selector sensor.

James K0UA

I have to respectfully disagree on this one James. The OP says he can crank in all gears, which should never happen. I suspect that if he looks closely there is either wire damage by mice or something similar causing intermittent and erroneous start in any gear conditions, or the pot is just bad and causing the symptoms.
The PTO lockout is functioning correctly - as should the 'pot' controlled gear selector when in L/M/H.

There could be other issues with wiring that have not yet been discovered, so until the OP does some wire tracing I believe we've done what we can to diagnose this problem.

If this were my tractor I'd make real sure I put it in neutral and locked the brake until this issue is solved. Keep any bystanders way away too.

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #22  
I have to respectfully disagree on this one James. The OP says he can crank in all gears, which should never happen. I suspect that if he looks closely there is either wire damage by mice or something similar causing intermittent and erroneous start in any gear conditions, or the pot is just bad and causing the symptoms.
The PTO lockout is functioning correctly - as should the 'pot' controlled gear selector when in L/M/H.

There could be other issues with wiring that have not yet been discovered, so until the OP does some wire tracing I believe we've done what we can to diagnose this problem.

If this were my tractor I'd make real sure I put it in neutral and locked the brake until this issue is solved. Keep any bystanders way away too.

CM.. I don't think we disagree.. notice the word "not" in front of the work "supposed" :)

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #23  
CM.. I don't think we disagree.. notice the word "not" in front of the work "supposed" :)
I read your post correctly, and did notice the 'not'. So what confuses me about what you were saying is: "...my personal feeling is that your no start problem has nothing to do with the range selector sensor. "

So if not the selector sensor, then what are you thinking is the cause?

I certainly don't think the fuel the OP mentioned has anything to do with the start condition- do you?

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #24  
I read your post correctly, and did notice the 'not'. So what confuses me about what you were saying is: "...my personal feeling is that your no start problem has nothing to do with the range selector sensor. "

So if not the selector sensor, then what are you thinking is the cause?

I certainly don't think the fuel the OP mentioned has anything to do with the start condition- do you?

Well I am a loss as to why the tractor does not start reliably, but I suspect a fuel issue or something related to that. I believe the range selector sensor only deals with whether the tractor will crank or not, (and the gear range indicator lights of course) but nothing to do with the ability of the tractor to start. I think his wiggling of the range selector is coincidental to the tractor finally starting. Remember he has never had a problem with cranking the tractor, even to the point of originally running the battery down the first day the problem manifested itself. But I will readily admit I don't know why the tractor will crank but not start (some of the time). If it was mine when it cranked and did not start, I would go crack one of the fuel injector lines and see if fuel squirted out of it while cranking.

James K0UA

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #25  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume you have a newer model, perhaps HST. If I'm looking at a relevant schematic, the starter and glow relays and the start solenoid are all controlled by modules on these new tractors. Who knows what's inside these modules? But Diesel basics are the same as the old tractors. Does it crank? Is there voltage at the glow plugs? Does the stop solenoid retract? Those are the only electrical things that effect starting for a mechanically injected Diesel (common rail systems are a whole different animal).

You can hear if it cranks. You can use a volt meter to test if the glow plugs have power during the glow cycle and while cranking. You can hear the stop solenoid retract but it may not stay retracted. The newer stop solenoids use two circuits: a high current circuit to retract the solenoid followed by a low current circuit to hold it in the retracted position. You may not detect a defective "hold" circuit by ear and the injection pump won't supply fuel unless the stop solenoid stays retracted. You can check this by slightly opening one of the B-nuts on top of the injection pump while someone cranks the engine; visible fuel should come out if the stop solenoid (and injection pump) are working normally.

If all this checks out, your problem isn't electrical. Fuel has been mentioned. Also some diesels are hard to start cold if the valves need adjustment. The fact it starts some times and runs well tends to rule out a serious mechanical problem.

Last edited:
   / DK40SE Cranks But No Start #26  
James K0UA,

I see your point. So it would seem there are two possibly separate problems, one related to the ability to start in any gear, the second being hard starts, intermittently.
So if we apply logic the first is likely electrical malfunction of the lockout of in gear starting, and is likely the 'pot' at the gear selector or wiring to or from same.

The intermittent start might be lack of fuel getting to the engine possibly as a result of the stop solenoid portion of the no start in gear portion of the 'pot' working as it should, (intermittently) and the stop solenoid part of the circuit is also working properly, (at times), to stop fuel from being delivered when the electrical system tells the stop solenoid to remain closed. When the stop solenoid is allowed to open fuel is present and the tractor starts, REGARDLESS of the gear selector's actual position.
Does this seem to fit for you?

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #27  
Agreed. If it heats, cranks, and gets fuel it should start. It sounds like the OP has everything but fuel to the injectors. I would focus on checking for fuel obstrution and checking the stop solenoid circuit. If you get the loud click and see voltage at the holding coil it would confirm that there is not a safety keeping it closed.

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #28  
James K0UA,

I see your point. So it would seem there are two possibly separate problems, one related to the ability to start in any gear, the second being hard starts, intermittently.
So if we apply logic the first is likely electrical malfunction of the lockout of in gear starting, and is likely the 'pot' at the gear selector or wiring to or from same.

The intermittent start might be lack of fuel getting to the engine possibly as a result of the stop solenoid portion of the no start in gear portion of the 'pot' working as it should, (intermittently) and the stop solenoid part of the circuit is also working properly, (at times), to stop fuel from being delivered when the electrical system tells the stop solenoid to remain closed. When the stop solenoid is allowed to open fuel is present and the tractor starts, REGARDLESS of the gear selector's actual position.
Does this seem to fit for you?

Sounds good, of course the controller module is common to all of this. Intermittent's are super hard to fix. But since it cranks, (even though it should not crank when in a gear range) we still need to know if the fuel solenoid is holding back or not. and whether this for sure is the basis for the no start problem. It would be so much easier to fix with a paper electrical schematic and standing beside the tractor with a voltmeter. :) Another problem I have is the schematic I have is Australian and the parts of the diagram that are different are these. My diagram has no lamps for the gears L M H. and the controller has outputs for these but shows them hooked to nothing. And the troubleshooting section shows shows a couple drawings of the range selector sensor and describes what it is and how to test it, and even includes a photograph to show how to find it and the stupid thing does not even appear on the overall schematic at all. I need a better manual. And yes I am looking at the proper schematic, the HST ROPS one. but it is just not there.The schematic is somewhat frustrating..

James K0UA

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #29  
Agreed. If it heats, cranks, and gets fuel ...

I don't recall any confirmation that it heats. This is the most likely cause IMO. If it was the SS hold circuit, the engine would likely quit at some point after starting.

/ DK40SE Cranks But No Start #30  
To me its sounds like he is have a issue with the glows plugs.
A cranking...cranking...puff whites..cranking starts puffing white smoke...leads me to believe that the glow plugs arn't working.

If he was to crack a injector line loose up on the head and seen fuel there, than I would be checking glows plugs for 12v