DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption

/ DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption #1  

boomer613

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE /W FEL
Does anyone know the fuel effiency of a DK40SE w/ FEL. Mine does not have a HST. I read several post with different answers - (1-3 Gal per hour) depending on the useage of tractor. Because of this the difference, I would like to break it down in section. If you have a DK45 or similar model or HST, please feel free to write your input.

1. Fuel per hour - no PTO
2. Fuel per hour - Bush hogging grass
3. Fuel per hour - heavy use with high RPM
4. Fuel effiency difference between HST and not having one

Also, how does Kioti's models compare to other models on the market with fuel consumption? I noticed it is a heavier tractor than most newer brands with similar HP.

/ DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption #2  
Why???

/ DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption #4  
And as all of us Kioti owners know the Kioti manuals are the gospel with no typo's or misinformation in them:laughing:

/ DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption #5  
When its low I fill it. ;)

/ DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption #6  
I find 5 gallons is a good weekend:thumbsup:
Now that I'm box blading alot I think I'm using almost a gallon an hour. Even heavy digging with the FEL doesn't seem to use much fuel. Problem is that the hour meter doesn't have tenths and topping off the tank is pain in the butt when the hour meter changes so I don't keep track.
I just tell myself its way less than hiring someone per hour!
Actually I had a look a the chart and averaging 20hp for an hour is sort of near a gallon per hour. So I guess if you are brushhogging using full pto hp, a DK50 could use 2 gallons an hour.

/ DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption #7  
I recently took possession of a DK40SE shuttle and have been very happy with how little fuel it uses. I got 17 hours out of my first tank, and probably could have squeaked at least another hour out of it. That was a mix of loader work and log skidding with a pto winch. I am conscientious to run it no harder than necessary to get the job done.

I suspect heavy PTO use would burn more fuel, but I'm still impressed.

/ DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption #8  
Seriously, Diesel fuel consumption depends heavily on how much power the engine is producing. They generally idle (warm) sipping almost nothing. It takes very little shaft HP just to move the tractor unless going uphill or moving earth. Running a rotary cutter or finish mower at 2500 rpm will use a fairly constant amount of power just to stir the air. I estimate about 2 gal/hr for my DK45S turning a 72 in fine-cut mower at 2500 rpm on the tach.

/ DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption #9  
Compared to the Kubota L3700 I had I dont notice any difference in fuel consumption across various tasks. I will say it uses a little more when it is sitting and running the chipper over sitting and running a log splitter.

Mine is a DK40se HST

/ DK40SE Fuel Efficiency & Consumption

When I bought my tractor last week, my neighbor two days later bought an older 2040 JD. His tractor weighs about the same as mine even though his does not have a FEL. I was curious if the newer tractors are more efficient since a gallon of diesel these days is not cheap. Searching this topic in this forum came up with mix results. Some folks say their DK40/DK45/DK50 are pretty fuel efficient and others complain it being a diesel guzzler. I'm sure for some, it is how hard they work it. I guess I'm also curious if the Kioti is comparable to other models in fuel consumption.

Thanks everyone for you input.