DK40SE having problems starting

/ DK40SE having problems starting #1  

boomer613

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40SE /W FEL
Need help diagnosing my problem. This is my first tractor and I am not very mechanical but would like to fix this myself before driving to the dealership. I still have 4 months before my warrantee runs out so I should be able to pick up the part free of charge.

When I turn over my ignition key, I can see all my lights on my dashboard light up. I can also here it clicking. Sometimes it will turn over and start but most of the time it just clicks until I turn the key over again or move the forward/neutral/reverse lever. It seems like when I jiggle this lever, i can get it to turn over and crank most of the time. I called my dealer and he thinks it is the ignition switch. If so, he said it was pretty easy to change and I can just get the switch from him and do it myself. This would save me the hassle from borrowing a trailer and driving 50 miles each way. Any suggestions?

/ DK40SE having problems starting #2  
Change the switch, it is a very easy job.

/ DK40SE having problems starting
Just wanted to make sure before I drive to pick it up. I am guessing you feel the switch is the problem. Would hate to make multiple trips. Thanks for your advice.

/ DK40SE having problems starting #4  
Just wanted to make sure before I drive to pick it up. I am guessing you feel the switch is the problem. Would hate to make multiple trips. Thanks for your advice.

The Kioti switches have been a problem for a while. The new switch closes when you pull out the key. You might try spraying some Fluid Film down the key slot then turn the key a few times.

I have yet to put it under a roof so it has been sitting under the rain. This might have contributed to the problem. Just curious why moving the forward/neutral/reverse lever helped it turn over? But then again it might have been my imagination as I was holding onto the key at the same time.

/ DK40SE having problems starting #6  
I have yet to put it under a roof so it has been sitting under the rain. This might have contributed to the problem. Just curious why moving the forward/neutral/reverse lever helped it turn over? But then again it might have been my imagination as I was holding onto the key at the same time.

It might mean something, but there are known switch problems. Spray your switch and try again.

/ DK40SE having problems starting #7  
Let me ask you did the Nuetral light appear in the instrument panel? If so then the range potentiometer should be working. Attached to your range lever is a small 2000 ohm Potentiometer that has 5 volts from the cruise module on its high side, and ground on the other. The center wiper goes back to the cruise module and it reads the voltage going thru the pot. and decides what "gear" you are in, including Nuetral. But if the Nuetral light did appear, it should be OK. This all assumes your tractor is a Hydrostatic transmission. If it is the shuttle/gear model. then forget the above.. But the keyswitch has had problems in the past. And I highly recommend spraying with Fluid Film or even wd40 if that is what you have. Some users have dissembled the keyswitch to clean the contacts and re-lubed them and solved their problems. I just sprayed mine. Here is a thread with pictures about disassemble of the clamshell housing. and while you are in there, lube the throttle too.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...286824-kioti-dk-throttle-lubrication-pix.html

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I looked at James' 2 photos. I can see where you lube the parts but does it have a picture of the ignition switch? My dealer is going to send me an ignition switch in the mail tomorrow. I should have it by Tuesday. As for fluid film, I went to Autozone today and nobody knew what fluid film was. Is there another name for it? Sorry, I was never very mechanical.

/ DK40SE having problems starting #9  
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I looked at James' 2 photos. I can see where you lube the parts but does it have a picture of the ignition switch? My dealer is going to send me an ignition switch in the mail tomorrow. I should have it by Tuesday. As for fluid film, I went to Autozone today and nobody knew what fluid film was. Is there another name for it? Sorry, I was never very mechanical.

Try NAPA

/ DK40SE having problems starting #10  

Well I don't know what to say: one picture had the ignition switch in plain view in the foreground, and the other had the molex plug that will come on the ignition switch.

If you cannot find Fluid Film locally you can use WD40, in the switch, or LPS. or this Blaster product.

Blaster Chemical/All purpose lubricant (PB-50) | Lubricant/Grease | AutoZone.com

Fluid Film Rust Protection

FLUID FILM products - Grainger Industrial Supply

Amazon.com: fluid film

Amazon.com: lps 2 lubricant