DK45 radiator questions

/ DK45 radiator questions #1  

GMIslander

Silver Member
Tractor
DK45SE HST
Is the radiator on DK45 plastic or metal tanks. Mine needs repair and wondering how to proceed.
Musta happened last thing this afternoon noticed coolant running out of small maybe 1/2" nipple on bottom right of rad.
Brush poked up in there I expect.
I'm scheming how to repair it and I this is good place to start.
To cold and dark for me to crawl in there tonight old too.

/ DK45 radiator questions #2  
My Dk40SE has plastic tanks.

A few years ago I let my wife do some brush hogging unsupervised, got an alder up in the fan and wiped out every blade on the fan.

I pulled out the entire cooling pack so I could have a rad shop check things over.

It's bit of a process to pull everything out, luckily for me it happened in the summer, wouldn't want to take the job on in the winter.

/ DK45 radiator questions #3  
Plastic, good luck.

/ DK45 radiator questions #4  
Plastic radiator? Mines metal. The fan blades may be plastic. Not the radiator

but mines a 2010 model. Ive never seen a plastic radiator… did not know it was a thing

/ DK45 radiator questions #5  
The cores yes, but have you checked the tanks?
My little Kioti has plastic tanks.

/ DK45 radiator questions
Plastic
I'll have a new one the first of the week.
I can't be without the tractor so I'll install the new one and if my repairs are successful there will be a spare.
Thanks

/ DK45 radiator questions #7  
Any chance that the tanks are ABS? If so, you may be able to do a hokey job of a temporary fix by cleaning the broken part surfaces really well and using ABS drain pipe solvent to glue them back together.
I used this to repair a broken handle on a shop vacuum hose about 10 years ago, and it is still holding together.

/ DK45 radiator questions #8  

but mines a 2010 model. Ive never seen a plastic radiator… did not know it was a thing

The vast majority of radiators have plastic tanks at either end of the core.

/ DK45 radiator questions #9  
The tanks on either end are a high temp nylon, with aluminum fins. If its in the aluminum, its so thin, its probably not fixable. If its in the 'plastic', plastic welding is possible. Rads are expensive. Mine went on a 3yr old tractor from the inside out... strangest thing...

/ DK45 radiator questions #10  
And to add to that - the ABS solvent probably will not work on nylon.