DK5310SE Starting Problem

/ DK5310SE Starting Problem #1  
Tractor
TYM T474
I have a 2020 DK5310SE. Several months ago, it developed an issue where at any random time, I could get on the tractor, turn the key, all the lights would come on, but the starter wouldn't do a thing. I could try and try, moving the shifter in and out of gears, moving the brake pedal up and down constantly, and finally after anywhere from a few to as many as a couple of dozen tries, the tractor would finally start.

It started getting worse and about a month ago, I took it to my dealer. For two weeks, they tried and tried to get it to do the same thing and every time, it would fire right up. So last week I went to get it because I had a couple of jobs to do. During the second job, I turned the tractor off one time and when I went back to restart it, it probably took close to 20 attempts to get it to start. But this time, it gave me an F26 code and the throttle would not allow RPMs to go above 2000. It ran fine except a couple of random "hiccups" but I was at least able to finish the job. I brought it home and parked it. The F26 code was still there.

Last night I went to move the tractor and although the F26 code was gone, it took forever to crank. So I went ahead and put it on the trailer and 6:30 this morning, I was on my way to the dealership. Sure enough when I get there, thje tractor fired right up as if nothing was wrong. Very frustrating.

Is there any chance anyone here has had a similar issue? I don't think it's anything serious but even if it's a safety switch or some wiring issue, I'd like to be able to fix it versus throwing random new parts at it in the hopes we get it right

/ DK5310SE Starting Problem #2  
It almost sounds like the key switch issue that the early CK series had. It was the corroded contacts in the switch that many fixed by taking it apart and cleaning the contacts….or replacing the switch for a new one. I still have the old switch as a backup.
However, Did the dealer explain what the code refers too?

/ DK5310SE Starting Problem #3  
You need to have a voltmeter handy when the problem happens again.
Check wire for B+ voltage at starter solenoid from ignition switch.
Do you have battery voltage when key turned to start? Switch is probably good.
Do you hear or feel a click at the starter solenoid and get voltage drop? Starter motor is probably bad. You could rap on the starter with a hammer's handle, not the head.
Do you not hear or feel a click, solenoid is probably bad.
Also check that the starter is tight to the engine as that is where it grounds.
If starter operates, :rolleyes: be ready for same test next time.
Good luck, hope this helps.
Patrick

/ DK5310SE Starting Problem #4  
Or it could be a safety switch glitch somewheres.

/ DK5310SE Starting Problem #5  
The dealer should be able to tell you what the F26 code means… I mean, that would be my first step? Is the dealers shop warmer than your storage? If it’s a cold and sticky safety switch, their shop being warm could make a difference? Bouncing around on a trailer during transport could knock it loose too? Does weather seem to have any impact?

/ DK5310SE Starting Problem #6  
I have a 2020 DK5310SE. Several months ago, it developed an issue where at any random time, I could get on the tractor, turn the key, all the lights would come on, but the starter wouldn't do a thing. I could try and try, moving the shifter in and out of gears, moving the brake pedal up and down constantly, and finally after anywhere from a few to as many as a couple of dozen tries, the tractor would finally start.

It started getting worse and about a month ago, I took it to my dealer. For two weeks, they tried and tried to get it to do the same thing and every time, it would fire right up. So last week I went to get it because I had a couple of jobs to do. During the second job, I turned the tractor off one time and when I went back to restart it, it probably took close to 20 attempts to get it to start. But this time, it gave me an F26 code and the throttle would not allow RPMs to go above 2000. It ran fine except a couple of random "hiccups" but I was at least able to finish the job. I brought it home and parked it. The F26 code was still there.

Last night I went to move the tractor and although the F26 code was gone, it took forever to crank. So I went ahead and put it on the trailer and 6:30 this morning, I was on my way to the dealership. Sure enough when I get there, thje tractor fired right up as if nothing was wrong. Very frustrating.

Is there any chance anyone here has had a similar issue? I don't think it's anything serious but even if it's a safety switch or some wiring issue, I'd like to be able to fix it versus throwing random new parts at it in the hopes we get it right
Not a big help, the hourmeter should be kicking up more numbers which may help track the problem down. So you can see that a fmi code of 26 is one part, the SPN is another.
The 26 by itself could be a cam sensor or ecu or esm or.....

Attachments

• dash dtc.jpg
    dash dtc.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 29