Do all single stage snow blowers suck?

/ Do all single stage snow blowers suck? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
Looking for a blower to mount to my skidsteer. For budget reasons I'm wanting a tractor unit that's at least 6' wide. Looked at a two stage unit today, price was right, but there was too much damage to the fan and the unit would extend too far in front of the skidsteer. Even though he wanted $500 for a 7'-9" 120hp blower, it was just too big of a project to convert it.

Checking Craig's when I got home and I found a 72" single stage blower. Yea, it's a single stage tractor blower. The auger is much smaller than the typical tractor blower which is good because I'll be able to see over it. The blower looks just like the cheap homeowner single stage blower, but it' much wider. I think this might be perfect for my application, but I have no way to test it. My only experience is with two stage blowers, so is it possible for a single stage blower to not suck?

/ Do all single stage snow blowers suck? #3  
Looking for a blower to mount to my skidsteer. For budget reasons I'm wanting a tractor unit that's at least 6' wide. Looked at a two stage unit today, price was right, but there was too much damage to the fan and the unit would extend too far in front of the skidsteer. Even though he wanted $500 for a 7'-9" 120hp blower, it was just too big of a project to convert it.

Checking Craig's when I got home and I found a 72" single stage blower. Yea, it's a single stage tractor blower. The auger is much smaller than the typical tractor blower which is good because I'll be able to see over it. The blower looks just like the cheap homeowner single stage blower, but it' much wider. I think this might be perfect for my application, but I have no way to test it. My only experience is with two stage blowers, so is it possible for a single stage blower to not suck?

Most skid steers I have been involved in are heavy powerful machines. Much heavier than a tractor which would drive a 60" blower.

Connect a single stage blower which came off a garden tractor .......... well I expect you will just bend it .

Yes single stage blowers are great. However, those are large ones often driven by their own engines and hanging off the front of an large articulated loader.

You do not mention how you are gong to drive the blower............... hydraulic motor or pto shaft.

Look at the size of the tractor driving a single stage Reiss blower.

Reist 3 Series Snow Blower / Thrower - Single Stage - YouTube

This next video is an example of what I suspect you are considering buying. Not even 4 wd so it wont be jammed into stuff left by the street plow.

Wheel Horse single stage snowthrower / snowblower (Jan 216 blizzard) - YouTube

Dave M7040

/ Do all single stage snow blowers suck? #5  
No, they BLOW!

/ Do all single stage snow blowers suck? #7  
   / Do all single stage snow blowers suck? #8  
Hard for me to sit on the sidelines when the bashing of single-stage blowers gets going.

For small or mid-sized machine with typical snow conditions a two-stage blower is probably the way to go. If you have very difficult conditions (hard packed drifts, or very tough refrozen berms) something like the Reist blower mentioned by Dave M7040 above would be your new best friend. No, it doesn't blow as far, but in those conditions who cares?

When you get up to 100 HP or more, single stage blowers are common and they work darn well.

Below are single-stage blowers made by Beilhack and Schmidt, both running on Unimogs. The Beilhack is ours. But on my Kubota I run a 2 stage. It works really well for the easy stuff, but with PTO at 50 HP it can't compete in throwing distance with the single stage Beilhack at 110 hp.

20160223_133604.jpg
20150901_122334.jpg

/ Do all single stage snow blowers suck?