Do I go with R4' or Turf tires?

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #1  

gabrichter

Bronze Member
Tractor
2012 Kubota B2920
I looking at a Kubota B2920 that comes standard with R4's to get turf tires cost is approx 200.00 more. 60% will be used to mow 3 acrea country yard with remaining 40% for snow blowing long driveway, misc loader work and a few gardens tilled in spring. Concerned if the R4's on this unit would be hard on the yard in the spring mowing when ground is softer from rains ect... Any real world use recommondations would be helpful.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #2  
id get the R4 tires hands down.they wont hurt your lawn unless its super muddy.an they dont rutt things up to bad if its a lil wet.turf tires will spin bad in snow,but thats my opion.an the R4s are tough tires.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #3  
Here in NW WI I use loader turf tires. Older JD 855, 4x4.

After the driveway (gravel) has a snow pack and freezes over I use 2 link ladder chains. I think a lot op people use chains for gravel drive snow removal regardless of the tires they have. And I have read many will use chains on tar as well as concrete. Otherwise I have skidded timber, pulled a sub soil tool, and run all manor of normal implements with no problems. Moved several truck load of gravel, and maintain a long drive. Also mow about 5 acres with the MMM deck.
--------
if its a lil wet.turf tires will spin bad in snow,but thats my opion (Texas ?)
---------
I'm know there are parts of N Texas that get some snow periodically. Been there, seen that. But not like here in WI.

I guess I wouldn't spend the extra money unless I found a good reason to do so. Then you can buy the extra tires and wheels to go with them for your specific needs.

Good luck

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #4  
When I bought my L3940 in 2009 from dealer there was no upcharge for turf tires. My usage is similar to yours, and the the turf tires are great. I am impressed how well the turfs do in snow on my black top driveway with front blade. I only do a little loader work, but I have no complaints with tires. If you get into really sloppy mud, you will wish for R1's. Philip.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #5  
Turfs will do better in snow and a lot more other places as well. If you needed extra traction, you can always chain the turfs. I think turfs with a chain set are the most versatile tire set to get on a utility tractor that is not going to do constant ground engaging work. In the woods, ags give the benefit of more ground clearance but even for log skidding, if I could find a tall enough turf, I'd chain these up, load them up and have a tractor I could use on my lawn as well when I no longer need the chains. Traditionally, turfs have been the more expensive tire. Some dealers certainly do include an up-charge. Worth it in my mind however.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #6  
I looking at a Kubota B2920 that comes standard with R4's to get turf tires cost is approx 200.00 more. 60% will be used to mow 3 acrea country yard with remaining 40% for snow blowing long driveway, misc loader work and a few gardens tilled in spring. Concerned if the R4's on this unit would be hard on the yard in the spring mowing when ground is softer from rains ect... Any real world use recommondations would be helpful.

You'll get a lot of different opinions on this one! I have turfs on my B3030 cabbed tractor. The rears are loaded with fluid. I too mow a little over 3 acres and the remainder of time I plow snow in my driveway along with several other neighbors. I'm sold on the turfs! They don't dig up the grass unless you try to spin the tires in wet grass or make extremely sharp turns where the front tires may scuff it some. As far as snow removal all of the various grooves in the tires make for an excellent snow tire. I do not run chains and don't see any need for them. Only when we had a bad blizzard in 2010 going up a hill did the tractor spin some but I was really pushing into a considerable snow bank. Also, my tractor originally came with ag tires and the dealer switched to turfs and there wasn't any charge for this.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #7  
Flat mowing less damage to lawn I'd go w/turfs,can always chain rear for snow blowing if need be.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #8  
Here is my opinion.......R-4's are not that great for traction. I have no experience with turfs, only R-4 and R-1's. Are R-4's a little better traction than turf's....probably. But many members on here state that turfs really perform well.

My first tractor had R-4's, they are a tough tire against punctures and have a better weight rating for loader work, but for my uses I was always fighting for traction. If your main concern is the safety of the lawn, I would get turf's. If your not rambling around in the woods and deep mud you will be fine. I've cut grass with R-4's and you will get some damage but mainly while turning. Its not severe damage depending on how wet the ground is though.

Its a tough choice and everyone has different opinions on tires. Really depends on your uses.

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #9  
I've got turf tires on my BX-25 and I haven't had a problem with them. They are easy on the grass and you can't overload them when you're doing FEL work. Anything the bucket will pick up, the tires can handle. I've recently had full buckets of Class 1 Rip Rap and #57 gravel and don't even get any flex out of the sidewalls.

Also, have recently been able to use a 4' box blade and 4' grader plane and didn't have any problems regarding traction using the turf tires. I could get the box loaded up to the point where the tractor wouldn't pull it, but I don't think tire choice would make any difference in that respect. Smaller tractor, so it just doesn't have enough "behind" to pull that much of a load.

Not in snow country, but some of the suggestions above about going with turf tires and then chaining them when needed make sense based on my experience...

/ Do I go with R4' or Turf tires? #10  
id get the R4 tires hands down.they wont hurt your lawn unless its super muddy.an they dont rutt things up to bad if its a lil wet.turf tires will spin bad in snow,but thats my opion.an the R4s are tough tires.

I agree, I really like having R4's on my tractor. :)