Do I need a block heater for a BX24???

/ Do I need a block heater for a BX24??? #21  
   / Do I need a block heater for a BX24??? #22  
chipsndust said:
How do I join the LBrown fan club?

You just have to learn the secret handshake!

If you join I guess it'll officially be a club. Now that there is two of us. ;)

/ Do I need a block heater for a BX24??? #23  
cp1969 said:
Now, I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I am going to propose that when you cold-start your diesel and it is emitting white smoke until it warms up.....that you have more than offset the amount of stack-scrubbed, coal-fired power plant generated electricity it would have taken a little block heater to warm your engine to the point that it didn't do that. That white smoke is unburned hydrocarbon fuel...not too Green, you know. Cold starts are probably the primary source of fuel in the oil. And fuel in the oil makes you change it sooner, thus being less (everybody say it with me) Green.

ditto

:cool:

/ Do I need a block heater for a BX24??? #24  
cp1969 said:
'Green' has to be one of the most overused words there is in today's vocabulary. What does it mean? Green is always good? Bile is green...who wants a big tumbler full? People are said to be green with envy. Is that now a good thing? I am not picking on you; it's just that I can't pick up a newspaper without that word being in the title of a half dozen articles and I'm sick of it. That and the word 'hoops' being used to describe the game of basketball. Rant over, no offense intended, if some was taken, I apologize in advance.

Now, I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but I am going to propose that when you cold-start your diesel and it is emitting white smoke until it warms up.....that you have more than offset the amount of stack-scrubbed, coal-fired power plant generated electricity it would have taken a little block heater to warm your engine to the point that it didn't do that. That white smoke is unburned hydrocarbon fuel...not too Green, you know. Cold starts are probably the primary source of fuel in the oil. And fuel in the oil makes you change it sooner, thus being less (everybody say it with me) Green.

You have a valid point on the white smoke.

No reason to be sick of "Green" seeing it talked about everywhere is long over due. I agree you need to look at the "whole" picture as you came up with.

/ Do I need a block heater for a BX24??? #25  
Although it's not nearly as cold as it will get. My tractor sat for two weeks and it was in single digits the last two nights with a howling wind.

It fired up fine and idled immediately as smooth as it does warmed up and had a puff of white smoke as it does when I started with warmer temps.

How cold does it need to get before I see this violent horrible idling? With no cab I think I'll be more uneasy about cold weather starts than it will.

I ordered a KATS magnetic cheapo from Amazon for $28.00 shipped for backup. Read too many comments of freeze plug ones possibly leaking.

/ Do I need a block heater for a BX24??? #26  
That violent clattering sound happens at a temperature just above the one where you hear a "erh-erh-err-er-e-" It's pretty easy to notice.:D :D :D

Most cars sold in Canada come from the dealer with a block heater installed. Failure incidence is low.:D

/ Do I need a block heater for a BX24???
Well I just got around to installing the block heater and boy was that easy!!! Thanks to everyone that help with advice and photos. The direction that came with it were not so clear. As far as leaking? It is press fit with locktite so if your freeze plugs do not leak the this shouldn't leak. Well worth the cost in order for the tractor to warm up faster when I need to use it in the cold!!!! Thanks again.

/ Do I need a block heater for a BX24??? #28  
I have an inline heater in my lower rad hose (B7100). After 30 mins my engine is very warm. If wind and extreem cold are an issue I would throw and old sleeping bag over the hood after I plug it in.

/ Do I need a block heater for a BX24??? #29  
mswlogo said:
Although it's not nearly as cold as it will get. My tractor sat for two weeks and it was in single digits the last two nights with a howling wind.

It fired up fine and idled immediately as smooth as it does warmed up and had a puff of white smoke as it does when I started with warmer temps.

How cold does it need to get before I see this violent horrible idling? With no cab I think I'll be more uneasy about cold weather starts than it will.

I ordered a KATS magnetic cheapo from Amazon for $28.00 shipped for backup. Read too many comments of freeze plug ones possibly leaking.

thanks for the tip-I just ordered one of the Kats 200 watt ones as well-$25 shipped from amazon. I have all kinds of places to stick that thing

/ Do I need a block heater for a BX24??? #30  
Yeah after a lot of reading I think the inline radiator hose one is the best and fastest but they can be a little tight getting them in the BX.

The KATS heater is not quick but simple and quick to install :), I don't plan to use tractor that much in the winter.