Do I need a Disk/Tiller or Roller?

/ Do I need a Disk/Tiller or Roller? #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
I'm trying to get things lined up to plant this spring/summer. I have a "relatively smooth" 2 acre field on the top of a ridge (nice views). I have a box scraper with diggers to do roughing up work. THEN....???? I have a broadcast spreader for seeding....THEN???
A roto tiller has been recommended (expensive) a DISK has been recommended (mod expensive), a ROLLER has been suggested and even dragging pine limbs has been offered???? IT gets breezy up there for straw and I have no water.... looking to plant clover, brassica, chickory etc.

/ Do I need a Disk/Tiller or Roller? #2  
Brush hog off existing grass/weeds, turn under with moldboard plow then disc or roto till then seed and finally cultipack. Ken Sweet

/ Do I need a Disk/Tiller or Roller? #3  
Depends what your doing, if it is just a deer plot (what your seeds look like), you could just use a disk and a "drag" to get by.

I have a tiller and have only used it in a food plot once in 6 years, because for me, it is not necessary.

A plow and a Cultipacker would be the "Bonus" implements to have, but you can get by without them in a pinch.

/ Do I need a Disk/Tiller or Roller? #4  
A pic of the field would help a lot in any recommendation. Type of soil and amount of rock would also help. Limit (or not) on tool purchase or rent would help too.

I found that planting clover after I roto-tilled some strips, then used a lawn seeder to drop the seed, and then a roller to pack the seed in worked well for me.
Interesting that the drop seeder dribbled some clover seed between the tilled strips, and I have a good take of clover there, where I didn't do any prep but mow the grass.

/ Do I need a Disk/Tiller or Roller?
I had just mowed the 3' high SAGE grass when this was taken..... many 1-2" stones....a few 4" rocks. the ph was 6.3:confused:

Attachments

• After Mowing.jpg
    After Mowing.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 120
  • Before mowing 3-11.jpg
    Before mowing 3-11.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 108