Do I need a general contractor to build a house?

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #1  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
I am recently retired. I have done my own repairs or upgrades in regards to electrical and plumbing over the years.
I can do basic carpentry and have the tools to build anything.
I have project management experience in the manufacturing world.

I recently bought an IRC 0016 book online to review and have house drawings approved with an architect's stamp.

My son recently had a house built and says that he became his own contractor as he went there daily to see the work and got up to speed by asking the builders questions. I know contractors manage more than just overseeing the work but I am wondering if it's necessary.

I know enough about carpentry, electricity, and plumbing but I don't feel I know enough about footers, foundation, and waterproofing (basement) to do this on my own.
The foundation scares me a bit. i know a big box company has a reputation for cutting corners but I don't know the details. I am considering hiring a qualified contractor to oversee this up to the point where the concrete is all poured and is ready for framing.

I can afford it but I will also be twiddling my thumbs watching others do the work if I hire this out.

Hoping others here can give some advice.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #2  
I was the GC on two projects I have threads on. Our home build and a wedding venue. You will need excellent communication skills, time management, and will need to be able to think several steps ahead, not just what's on the plate at the moment but can be done. You will need to plan to be onsite everyday and not just to drop in for a few minutes a day. If you don't have the time things will be missed, overlooked, and some mistakes can easily cost more than the money saved. For me it was almost a full time job on top of my other work. On the flip side if you are successfull it is very gratifying when the project is complete. Good luck.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #3  
I had no GC for my house. I made some mistakes but nothing i cannot live with. I had a guy make drawings and i got the county to approve them.

If u r ambitious and willing to take a little risk and control your own destiny (so to speak) u can do it and save a bunch of $ too.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #4  
The tricky part would be the ability to find and coordinate good subs. IMO that would be hard to do in today's environment unless you have already established relationships. That is where a GC is worth his markup.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #5  
The tricky part would be the ability to find and coordinate good subs. IMO that would be hard to do in today's environment unless you have already established relationships. That is where a GC is worth his markup.
This.

Subs are unlikely to even call you back with quotes these days. Anyone worth hiring has more work than they can do right now. At least around here. Even if you can get subs, you are their absolute lowest priority. They have to answer to contractors that are their bread and butter.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #7  
So far I've built 6 homes and don't have any 'cards' nor am I a licensed contractor.
OK, I did sub certain trade work but did all the plans and obtained all the approvals.
The key is that I could draw proper plans and knew the codes.
I even did my own excavation on one but always farmed out foundation forming.
I've done all electrical on most under 'supervision', only on one did I do the drywalling as that is one trade I don't like.
Also did some major renovations like adding 2nd stories and even raising a house to add a foundation.
Have also done a few septic systems.

I guess the key factor is that I earned credibility with our city inspectors.
I provided good detailed plans and did what was specified on them.

But then to contract/supervise no license is required but all tradesmen do need to be licensed here.

My biggest job was a 600 ft custom stable and equally large riding arena.
That one included breeding facilities, horse wash station and multiple box stalls.
LOL on that one job I ran into gov't compliance issues and one fine but ended up befriending the inspectors enough to carry on. (no, no bribes)
Main problem in my jurisdiction is all construction trades need to be carded.

I also had a great relationship with the largest local building supply house that often referred me clients as well.

Perhaps my success was that I enjoyed the challenges and never really considered it as 'work' but more like a hobby. Also only took on jobs that were appealing from folks that I liked and trusted. Word of mouth was my best asset.

Would I do it today?
NO

Way too many permits are now required:
-Location permit.
-Soil analysis and stability permit.
-Septic permit + perk tests
-Well permit. (sure I've forgotten a few)
-Surveyor's report as to separation from all neighbor's wells and septics.
-Oh, and they now want a surveyor's analysis of the driveway slope.

All those permits usually carry a +/- $500. professional fee.

Last edited:
   / Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #8  
As others have mentioned THIS will be your biggest issue: managing and coordinating subs. If one sub muffs the job it can put other subs/deadlines at risk.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #9  
FWIW, my wife and her first husband built their house by themselves. They contracted out the foundation but did everything else themselves. That was 40 years ago.

A neighbor was a home builder and chided them for "measuring twice, and then again" before cutting a board. He said he could eyeball the cuts without measuring. The house he built is drafty, LOL.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #10  
So far I've built 6 homes and don't have any 'cards' nor am I a licensed contractor.
OK, I did sub certain trade work but did all the plans and obtained all the approvals.
The key is that I could draw proper plans and knew the codes.
I even did my own excavation on one but always farmed out foundation forming.
I've done all electrical on most under 'supervision', only on one did I do the drywalling as that is one trade I don't like.
Also did some major renovations like adding 2nd stories and even raising a house to add a foundation.
Have also done a few septic systems.

I guess the key factor is that I earned credibility with our city inspectors.
I provided good detailed plans and did what was specified on them.

But then to contract/supervise no license is required but all tradesmen do need to be licensed here.

My biggest job was a 600 ft custom stable and equally large riding arena.
That one included breeding facilities, horse wash station and multiple box stalls.
LOL on that one job I ran into gov't compliance issues and one fine but ended up befriending the inspectors enough to carry on. (no, no bribes)
Main problem in my jurisdiction is all construction trades need to be carded.

I also had a great relationship with the largest local building supply house that often referred me clients as well.

Perhaps my success was that I enjoyed the challenges and never really considered it as 'work' but more like a hobby. Also only took on jobs that were appealing from folks that I liked and trusted. Word of mouth was my best asset.

Wow, Bob that is a lot! You are definitely a pro at this point. I was the CG on my 4 season college with full basement, and did a couple of major renovations where I added second stories to Housez. It is very doable, but again the big problem is getting the trades.

In this environment I would never try it now. And most of the people around here who would do the work are basically incompetent.

At this point I would only do it with a general contractor, who has all of his or her trades lined up.