Buying Advice Do I NEED or WANT a tractor?

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #11  
Everyone needs a tractor , but most havent realized it yet . TRACTOR : A toy that makes work easier and fun .

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #12  
Another tack here, I moved to the country when I was in my low 20's. I needed a tractor but didn't get one for a few years. Then I bought a Ford 2N with no live pto, no loader, etc. I killed my back and the rest of my body fighting to get stuff done with inferior equipment.

Get a good modern tractor with a loader.

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #13  
13 acres in North Alabama? 2 acres of lawn? Trails? Forest?

How is your back? Do you like lifting and lugging things for exercise? Will you be moving trees?

You don't NEED a tractor. People have existed for thousands of years without a tractor, or a computer. A basic 30 to 50 HP tractor, 4WD, w/ FEL, pallet forks, 3pt, drawbar will make many things much easier.

Hang around and see what we do with tractors other than basic farming. Keep a list of all the things you might want to do. Some things, like moving a 12' log onto a sawmill or pulling a 3 bottom plow require more HP than others. Most tasks can be done with a smaller tractor, it just takes longer.

Now the backhoe is a toy, but it beats the heck put of a shovel.

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #14  
Another tack here, I moved to the country when I was in my low 20's. I needed a tractor but didn't get one for a few years. Then I bought a Ford 2N with no live pto, no loader, etc. I killed my back and the rest of my body fighting to get stuff done with inferior equipment.

Get a good modern tractor with a loader.

I did this (TO30 Ferguson), later sold it and did without, again, for several years.

Biggest mistake I made was I didn't get a tractor sooner.
Cheers.
:drink:

Finally bought a modern tractor with equipment and realize what a mistake it was to have waited so long. No more hiring things done or killing yourself trying to do things manually. The relief on my back is/was payment enough.

Only thing I'd add is what was mentioned about steep slopes and pictured in post #3 with the Steiner mower. I also have a large zero-turn for lawn care. However, if I had slopes or hill(s) like pictured I'd spring for a mower like that first, then buy a tractor if/when I could swing it. It's an expense to furnish a homestead property, but well worth the investment down the road. 50's, 70's, and 90's model tractors still pretty much bring their original MSRP, if you own it 20 years I don't see the future being much different. Wish that could be said for new $60,000 pick-ups. :bawling:

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #15  
   / Do I NEED or WANT a tractor?
Thanks for the feedback.
Replacing the riding lawn mower is the top use for the tractor.

Since our house is on the hill side, there is a dirt ditch behind the house. This needs to be excavated every 1-2 years to prevent water from running onto/into the house.
I would like to dig up a stretch and put in a proper drainage. That job alone IMO requires a backhoe.
And for that job it needs to be a narrow tractor, as it is just enough space for a riding lawnmower to get through.

Maybe a B series Kubota?

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #17  
Thanks for the feedback.

Since our house is on the hill side, there is a dirt ditch behind the house. This needs to be excavated every 1-2 years to prevent water from running onto/into the house.
I would like to dig up a stretch and put in a proper drainage. That job alone IMO requires a backhoe.
And for that job it needs to be a narrow tractor, as it is just enough space for a riding lawnmower to get through.

Maybe a B series Kubota?

Can you or would you be able to straddle the "ditch" with a compact tractor? if so a back hoe attachment would be advantageous...otherwise if the hill is steep on the high side of the ditch...a back hoe attachment on a tractor is not going to work efficiently...

A picture of the ditch/terrain would help everyone understand your needs a bit better...

/ Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #18  

Maybe a B series Kubota?

I had a light-frame Kubota B3300 SU tractor-loader prior to my heavy-frame Kubota L3560. There is little difference in size between the two machines. With any light tractor, as soon as you start to do heavy work, Newton's Law of equal and opposite reaction comes into play. As soon as you dig with a Backhoe or a Toothbar on an FEL bucket, the tractor is pushed around. Standard tractors are laterally unstable. The two small front wheels and large rear wheels, which provide great mechanical advantage when pulling implements, do nothing for lateral stability.

On slopes it is very easy to roll a standard tractor. Very easy.

A heavy tractor, which will also have a wider stance, stays anchored better, but tractors are unstable on sloped ground, unless especially engineered like a Ventrac for slopes. The largest market for Ventrac and Steiners is golf coarse mowing, so you can be sure the riding mower will not be missed. The wheels are equal size, front and rear.

Unlike road vehicles, tractors have brakes only on the rear wheels. When going downhill, weight transfers to the small front wheels, so the rear wheels are unloaded, providing practically no braking. Therefore you must always have 4-WD engaged when going downhill, to have four wheel braking. Most of us keep 4-WD engaged at all times over dirt, shifting to 2-WD only when proceeding on a hard surface.

Tracked excavators have low ground loadings because of the tracks, and a low ground clearance by design. Also, the tracks provide multiples greater stability than the two small stabilizers which let down as part of a tractor Backhoe package.

Did you open the Ventrac LINK provided in Post #3 ?

Last edited:
   / Do I NEED or WANT a tractor? #20  
Thanks for the feedback.
If you are going to mow all 2 acres this means either a good ztr or several thousand for a mower $$$

Maybe a B series Kubota?
If that is your only job for a backhoe you might want to consider renting a mini-ex or hiring the job out. Sunbelt rents them for about $1k/month.

Don't get me wrong, a backhoe is a great toy. I feel like a kid in a big sandbox every time I use mine, but I've put on less than 100 hours with it in the last 5 years. But to get
a narrow tractor, as it is just enough space for a riding lawnmower
and something to handle trees will be difficult.