Do I need skid shoes?

/ Do I need skid shoes? #31  
That storms gotta get through me first!!
Unfortunatley I don't think it will have any problem.
They are calling for anywhere from 3 to 8 inches for my area.
Gonna try out the FEL on it. I didn't get the guage wheels made for the back blade yet.

/ Do I need skid shoes? #32  
Those babies look like they'll get your blade over anything they encounter! Very functional looking.

/ Do I need skid shoes? #33  
Berniep -- I bought a woods rb84 rear blade from Miller equipment in Greensburg. Unfortunately the lower lift pin attachment arms weren't welded on straight so I retuned it and the new one isn't supposed to be in untill 12/10. We're supposed to get 4-7" tonight but with no blade I'll have to use the bucket. Oh well. BTW- Miller Eq. was pretty good about making me happy on my purchases.

/ Do I need skid shoes? #34  
Wow someone from around here.
Is Millers the New Holland dealer out on the bypass?
I bought the smallest (5ft) orange blade that Tractor Supply had, to go with my little Kubota. But without any gauge wheels or skid shoes I won't try it on the gravel driveways.
I really would like to take tomorrow off to tackle the snow drifts, but as long as I can get the pickup out I guess I better go to work.

/ Do I need skid shoes? #35  
We got 5-6" of snow last night, but it drifted to 24-26" for about 100 feet down the length of my driveway. The blade could not begin to push it because I was spinning all 4 wheels with bar tires. I ended up using the frontloader to clear enough snow to get out of the driveway. I wish I bought the snowblower attachment now.

/ Do I need skid shoes? #36  
Here's a picture of what I use to keep the drifts out of the driveway. It's called a snow fence /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Seriously, a lot cheaper than a snowblower if you can position it correctly in relation to your winds. I messed around with the pic a bit (contrast and such) so you can see the drift and my tire tracks in the drive from this morning. Only about 3 inches made it into the drive and I don't even need to plow again today /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 785581-drift.JPG
    785581-drift.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 200
   / Do I need skid shoes? #37  
Your photo gives me an idea for a short piece of scrap 6" pipe I have... I think I could split in 1/2, reinforce it so it does not bend up & drill it & my blade that might do the same thing as your shoes.. I'll tryit & post a photo if it works.

/ Do I need skid shoes? #38  
unfortunately my driveway (lane) is about 2 feet from a wire fence that keeps my dogs on my property. The other side of the fence is a huge field that was recently harvested. So, my fence is causing the problem. The only way to fix it would be to move my lane (not practical) or erect a fence in the farmer's field (also not practical).

/ Do I need skid shoes? #39  
Ouch. With the field and the fence... no wonder you're getting a lot of drifting in your drive.
Yep, you may be a prime candidate for a snowblower, that or a bigger tractor.

/ Do I need skid shoes? #40  
I may have spoken a little too soon about the blade. This morning was the first time I ever used a rear blade. It was cold, and I was quite tired while trying to plow at 6am. This evening after work, I got back to it, and found that while driving backwards with the blade reversed, I can push a heck of a lot of snow. This morning I was driving forwards and had the wheels in the deep stuff. Once I made a path to get some traction then started driving backwards, I could push and push and push. All snow is moved off now and there is peace in the world again.