Do it yourself, oil change!

/ Do it yourself, oil change! #11  
woodchuckie said:
A neighbor of mine drove half a mile up the road to check his out after a do it your self oil change and on the trip back he noticed an oil trail in the road. It led straight to his carport. His oil filter gasket had fallen off in the box.

Make sure you have one gasket.

The easy way to KNOW you didn't leave the old gasket behind, OR miss the new gasket on the replacement filter: Use the oil on the old gasket to lube the new gasket by mating them face-to-face. The new gasket should ALWAYS be oiled before installation, & I've found that doing it this way leaves no doubt what so ever that there is: A- no gasket left behind on the engine (which WILL leak) & B- that there IS a gasket on the new filter.

/ Do it yourself, oil change! #12  
Many years ago I worked for a Ford car dealer. We had a super sharp mechanic and they would let us work on saturday if we wanted to, otherwise they were closed. This guy gets drunk every weekend, and he is down there with one of the garage doors open, and is passed out on a creeper with a water hose on, and it was running right under the creeper. He was under a car had it raised high as it would go.
And, just about every monday morning if he didn't show up the owner would come out and say where is Cliff? Oh, the foreman would say, he didn't show. The boss would say go down to the jail and get him out, we need him. Now, the funny thing was, he was single, but had a little dog and they would put both of them in jail together.

/ Do it yourself, oil change! #13  
Thanks for the link to the video.

I worked with a mechanic as a summer job while I was in school. One of his tricks was to take parts out of a car, make a repair or adjustment to the part, paint the part and charge for new part.

I have seen the two gaskets on the oil filter before. It was on an oil change done by a high school kid. He had trouble finding the drain plug till I showed him he was looking at the transmission instead of the oil pan. His mom drove the car to work and home. Oil everywhere but no damage found.

One of my favorites was a recently devoiced lady learning to check her oil on her own. She told me how hard it was to add the new oil though the small hole for the dipstick. I set her straight.

One that made me mad, checking the oil in on of my vehicles there was no dipstick. Someone put the dipstick down on the ground when checking the oil and forgot to put it back. I set her straight on how to check the oil without leaving the dipstick out.

/ Do it yourself, oil change! #14  
if you want 7 dollar an hour unskilled help working on your 30 thousand dollar vehicle, take it to the local quik lube.

/ Do it yourself, oil change! #15  
rich_cal

I know they do some fancy things with the human body over there in Californ-i-a. But a "....recently devoiced lady" I would like to know which plastic surgeons perform this procedure..... I have a couple of women in my life I would like "devoiced"

Chris

/ Do it yourself, oil change! #16  
Cheaper to just ignore them.. that's what i do.

If you guys don't hear from me for a while... probably means my wife saw this and I'm in PT / Rehab ... (grin)

Soundguy

/ Do it yourself, oil change! #17  
jcotta,

Same thing happened to a friend's old Lincoln. Jiffy Lube or one of those sorts left the old gasket in there.

Ralph

/ Do it yourself, oil change! #19  
I have used them along with the Fram Sure Drain but the messy part for me is always been the filter.

Chris

/ Do it yourself, oil change! #20  
Quick lube type places are just fine if you stand by and watch the whole process to make sure nothing goes wrong. I can't even buy the oil and filter for what a quick lube will change it for. Four gallons per engine gets pretty expensive and messy to deal with.