Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part?

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part? #61  
I am always amazed by how cheap some people are. They must squeak when they walk.

If the mechanic ran into problems and it took longer, I doubt the OP would offer to reimburse for the extra time it took and fall back on the quoted cost as the final price. Because the mechanic is taking a risk that the job might go south on him for unforseen circumstances, he better incorporate a little bit of buffer for a risk premium. That's business 101.

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part? #62  
Never mind all the costs associated with running a business. Just think of that huge INVESTMENT, in all that is the business and then people think they shouldn`t charge more than a back yard, block and tackle in the tree, mechanic. But that has to be peoples number one failing. Being unable or unwilling to ever see thngs from anothers perspective.

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part? #63  
It never fails when we do it ourselves... and that is a very good concept as to why they set a certain block of hours aside per job.

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part? #64  
I am always amazed by how cheap some people are. They must squeak when they walk.

Yup... Seems people want things for nothing but it's different when it's the other way around, funny how that works... Most people don't take everything involved into account, people can't perform a service and not make money..

The way I see it is why should I pay a local shop with ill trained technicians that buy junk parts from parts stores when I can pay an extra $100 and get OEM parts and people to install them that are up snuff and a dealer that backs everything up, IDK, makes no sense to me..

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part? #65  
I do not mind paying for the services I need but I did have a shop tell me I needed front brakes right away recently when they were replacing an oil pressure sensor. I declined and am 15,000 miles since then. Some shops lie.

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part?
I do not mind paying for the services I need but I did have a shop tell me I needed front brakes right away recently when they were replacing an oil pressure sensor. I declined and am 15,000 miles since then. Some shops lie.

I asked a shop to check the brakes when they put front tires on. They said they looked fine and I didn’t need them.

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part? #67  
Yup... Seems people want things for nothing but it's different when it's the other way around, funny how that works... Most people don't take everything involved into account, people can't perform a service and not make money..

The way I see it is why should I pay a local shop with ill trained technicians that buy junk parts from parts stores when I can pay an extra $100 and get OEM parts and people to install them that are up snuff and a dealer that backs everything up, IDK, makes no sense to me..

Not every part that you get out of your dealership is necessarily OEM. If they are out of your particular brake caliper, you'll see the napa truck pulling into the parking lot rather than take the truck off the lift. Really the OP just seems like he felt it was an hour job and the shop didn't offer a fair shake.

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part?
Really the OP just seems like he felt it was an hour job and the shop didn't offer a fair shake.
That’s exactly what it is. There’s no need for all this talk about diy vs professional or all the overhead involved. I don’t recall ever saying I didn’t think that was a fair price or complaining that I thought the shop rate was too high. You should set your hourly rate at a sustainable amount and charge for the hours worked. OR just abandon the entire system and just say how much it’s going to cost.

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part? #69  
That’s exactly what it is. There’s no need for all this talk about diy vs professional or all the overhead involved. I don’t recall ever saying I didn’t think that was a fair price or complaining that I thought the shop rate was too high. You should set your hourly rate at a sustainable amount and charge for the hours worked. OR just abandon the entire system and just say how much it’s going to cost.
You still haven't said if that was a quote or an estimate. Things don't always go as well as they did for you. Furthermore whether it's a garage mechanic, land surveyor or doctor; I wouldn't trust a professional who just took the customer's word. First they need to determine what the problem is.

Otherwise you could end up getting a new fuel pump when all that you need is a tank of gas.

/ Do mechanics significantly over charge for the time to change a part? #70  

So if the mechanic would have told you that he was going to charge $120 to change the clutch master cylinder plus the cost of the part, you would have let him do the job?