Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman?

/ Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman? #1  

LittleBill21

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL, White
I am removing a set of 1/2 QD from a brand new implement to change them to what fits my 3rd function, it required a 2 foot adjustable on one side, and a 1 foot adjustable with a 6 foot pipe on the other, and i still struggled a bit to break them free, Now i have dealt with npt in plumbing, but nowhere close to needing to be this tight, is this really normal? I plan to put it back together with loctite 545, but after doing my 3rd function with JIC and a small wrench to snug the fittings with 0 leaks, this seems a bit insane that they really need to be this tight?

/ Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman? #2  
   / Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman?
   / Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman? #4  
The fittings only need be tight enough to prevent hydraulic leaks. When uncoupling a hydraulic fitting - be sure you relieve the pressure in the line and on the fitting. With the control lever in neutral - rock the lever forward/back several times. This should relieve the pressure and make disconnect much easier.

/ Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman? #5  
maybe i am missing something but it only shows -2 npt? need -8?
Huh, that’s where my wall chart came from but online is definitely missing some
-4 is 25
-6 is 40
-8 is 54
-12 is 78
-16 is 112
-20 is 174
-24 is 211
-32 is 300

/ Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman? #6  
I am removing a set of 1/2 QD from a brand new implement to change them to what fits my 3rd function, it required a 2 foot adjustable on one side, and a 1 foot adjustable with a 6 foot pipe on the other, and i still struggled a bit to break them free, Now i have dealt with npt in plumbing, but nowhere close to needing to be this tight, is this really normal? I plan to put it back together with loctite 545, but after doing my 3rd function with JIC and a small wrench to snug the fittings with 0 leaks, this seems a bit insane that they really need to be this tight?
Unfortunately, I think it is normal. I have encountered the same sort of nonsense on new fittings, too.

/ Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman?
Unfortunately, I think it is normal. I have encountered the same sort of nonsense on new fittings, too.
the question is does it need to go back together that tight... based on the chart above, not even remotely.

/ Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman? #8  
From the same guys that tell us a 6 foot pipe is needed to tighten a chain lever binder. It ain’t really tight until something breaks?

/ Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman? #9  
the question is does it need to go back together that tight... based on the chart above, not even remotely.
No, it certainly doesn’t. Just tight enough, then maybe an extra 1/2 turn or so.
I think manufacturers over tighten because they use pneumatic tools on an assembly line. Probably put the fitting on with a dang air hammer!

/ Do NPT 1/2 quick Disconnects really need superman? #10  
10 dollar an hour guys or gals
Plus a little trick is to try and tighten them first then loosen old plumber showed me
The trick