Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ...

/ Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ... #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
...or maybe what's salvageable isn't worth the labor?

/ Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ... #2  
We've seen a few that were taken down carefully to be reconstructed elsewhere.

Check out today's metal prices. ;)

/ Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ... #3  
My neighbor moved a 20x40 run-in pole shed 370 ft.

He had 4 acres for sale but the highest and best spot to build a house was where the shed was.

/ Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ... #4  
When I was working I did a lot of work at a nearby landfill. Landfills big asset is “airspace”, which is available room for trash. They had several nice sized metal builds plus another large one for offices. They took them down for airspace. The Amish came and took them down and hauled them all off. I don’t know if they paid for them or not but I think they got them for free but of course it took a lot of work on their part.

/ Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ... #5  
If you need one torn down it will cost you. If you want to get one that someone needs to have torn down they will want to sell it to you. It is rare that you find a middle ground.

/ Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ... #7  
Not quite as impressive as the barn move but still neat; today I saw a pole barn raised about six feet. An Amish shed builder had bought a small brick home with about a 30x60 or so pole barn on a main road and has been using the place for a sales office while their operation is elsewhere.

Friday, i had driven by there was no changes but today when i went by, the barn was raised and framed out about six feet higher.
I am thinking that they are going to build on site. They have plenty of room and it's on a busy road. If so, it would help them in a crowded shed market as there a lot of local builders here.

/ Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ... #8  
Farmer down south built a second pole barn. Left the original one standing. He said - tearing down the original would leave not much usable material. He now uses the original to store equipment. New one is for hay storage.

/ Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ... #9  
back in 1990, I bought an adjacent piece of property with a pole barn that had been moved to the site. The previous owner was a real scrounger who found someone tearing down a barn, and moved it to his property. He paid little for it, but I remember him saying he really didn't save much over the cost of building new.

Some of the metal was damaged in the process and had to be replaced. He also had to rent the equipment necessary to dismantle and re-erect it, as well as pay a couple of laborers to help.

I've since had to do work on parts of the building to correct a few areas that weren't assembled properly.

Unless you have the equipment and labor on site for a project like this, I would seriously compare these costs to that of building new.

I'm planning to add a building in the near future and wouldn't consider buying & moving one. Around here, there are several Amish owned companies that erect pole barns at a price I couldn't match by buying used.

/ Do people sell their pole barns to be reconstructed elsewhere or ...
OP here- Thanks, All.

The property with the barn in the way had a cash offer accepted yesterday from someone on its first day on the market. So, a dead end for me but your comments on this subject might be interesting to others too.

Last edited: