Do Trickle Chargers Really work....

/ Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #11  
I've had rel good luck with $17.00 solar maintainers from Harbor Freight. Two boats with 4 batteries, Kubota 3830, 2001 Chevy PU, they sit all winter in the barn in Maine. We get there in April, and all motors fire right off.

I use one of those up in the upper barn where there is no "juice" to keep the lawn mower battery up thru the winter.. Works good.

/ Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #12  
A trickle charger will pump 2 amps (or whatever it's set to) into the battery no matter what. These are OK for gently bringing a dead battery back to life overnight, but shouldn't be left on 24/7.

I dunno about that. Years and years ago I built a trickle charger using a 12V transformer and a bridge rectifier, I included an ammeter in the + lead. When I first connect it, the meter will show a 1-2 amp reading, but as the battery charges it drops to almost nothing. I wouldn't want to leave it on a lawnmower or motorcycle-type battery long term for fear of over-charging it, but on a larger battery it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Agree though that one of the newer "smart" chargers would probably be better as a maintainer.

I got the "Battery Tender" brand on the weekend because my ATV battery was slowly draining down, and it is -30 at the cottage. The problem is that I have a snowplow on it, which is raised and lowered by the winch. These ATV winches use a lot of power, and I believe that the ATV does not recharge the battery enough. If all I do is plow each time I am up. So, when you put the ATV away and go away for a week or so, the battery is in pretty poor condition. Had to get a new battery, but left the Battery Tender on when I left the cottage. This time, when I return, I am sure the ATV will fire right up. And those little beads that you can connect right to the battery with rings on the end of the leads or just the cats meow. Very convenient for me, since my Can Am 650 Max ATV has the battery tucked up in an area where the posts are basically inaccessible unless you take the battery right out.

I hear ya. The one on my ATV was tucked in the right rear wheel well, of course that side is against the building where I park it. Since those small batteries are kind of pricey and don't last more than a couple years I welded up a bracket behind and below the rear luggage rack and put in an old car battery. Posts are easy to get at for charging and a battery that was "retired" from my wife's car is still going strong here 5 years later.

/ Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #13  
I use the BatteryMinder and am sure it works on my expensive AGM watercraft batteries. I also use it on a marine Optima battery I use for a trolling motor and portable power. I have not had good luck on recharging dead lead-acid car batteries I just don't think it has the amps.

Northern Freight routinely has the on sale for less than $20.

/ Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #14  
I've used a Deltran Battery Tender ($50) for about 8 years now. Then I decided to get a couple of the Schumacher ($20) brand to save a few bucks. The Schumacher brand crapped out just over the warranty period....2 years. Thus I bought a couple more Deltrans. I doubt that Northern or anybody else sells the Deltran for $20 bucks....just sayin'....i.e. "Deltran Battery Tender Plus".
Cheers,
Mike

/ Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #15  
I have the Schumacher SE-1-12S automatic trickle charger hardwired to my Ford F-350. I just plug it in in the front bumper area where the engine heater cord is located. I have no problem whatsoever leaving my truck plugged in while it's cold (for south TN). It keeps the PSD batteries charged up and warm(er). SE-1-12S:

94026501A_L.jpg

I also have a Battery Minder but I haven't found it since we moved last summer, it's still in one of out moving boxes. I would not hardwire the BM into a battery since it will drain a battery eventually if left wired to the battery but not plugged in.

/ Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #16  
I'm thinking of adding a 12V socket (cigarette lighter) somewhere on my BX so that I can borrow the neighbor's lawn sprayer. I'd also like to add a tender. I'm thinking that being able to plug the tender in with a plug like that would be awesome. Thoughts?

/ Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #17  
I'm thinking of adding a 12V socket (cigarette lighter) somewhere on my BX so that I can borrow the neighbor's lawn sprayer. I'd also like to add a tender. I'm thinking that being able to plug the tender in with a plug like that would be awesome. Thoughts?

That should work, but I added an SAE two prong connector on the back of the lawn tractor for the exact uses you mentioned. A little more duraable and compact than the Cig lighter socket and plug.

Amazon.com: Hopkins 47965 2-Pole Flat Extension: Automotive

Of course you can get them at almost any auto parts store too.

/ Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #18  
That should work, but I added an SAE two prong connector on the back of the lawn tractor for the exact uses you mentioned. A little more duraable and compact than the Cig lighter socket and plug.

I made sure that the exposed plug was the ground on the one on the mower so if it flopped around and touched the chassis it would not matter. Also Anderson power poles would be another choice.

Amazon.com: anderson power pole

/ Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #19  
Posted about these before, but some time ago I bought several Harbor Freight battery tenders for about $5 each... they work fine, keeping outdoor equipment batteries nicely charged. My old B8200 had an exposed battery, so the alligator clips were fine, but to simplify things, since my more recent tractors have their batteries under cover, I just wired up an outlet (with a fuse, of course, and plug in the maintainer. I suppose if I ever wanted to, I could use it for a 12v power source, as well.

Attachments

• P1010675.JPG
    P1010675.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 87
   / Do Trickle Chargers Really work.... #20  

I was looking at a cig socket only because that is what the sprayer already has on it. Could make a pigtail with that connector also I suppose but it seems like that adds 1 more point of failure.