Do you know why people work on their own tractors?

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #11  
The dealer I bought from couldn't be better. Am absolutely amazed as to how supportive they have been. Had a very slight leak from the filler neck on my new TC48. Could have been field repaired with a slight solder job, and a flat black paint can. They replaced the entire metal radiator with a brand new one. I saw them unpack it from the factory crate. My buddy with his TC35A had a problem with his bucket cylinders leaking down. Called it in last day of warranty. Bam, brand new bucket cylinders were installed, no cost. Your dealer is just not supporting you well.

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors?
No kidding, and I spend a LOT of money there. Which is the whole point of supporting one person, getting a good deal and getting support.

Bought the tractor saturday, worked a job on sunday, fuse blew when using the cruise control. Got it home, replaced teh fuse, drove around, didn't happen again, but noticed some other stuff.
Went to work with it on wednesday, cruise control fuse blew in the first 200 feet. (Ok, obviously a dead short) and it slowly overheats (yes, radiator is full). I call dealership from the job (cell) and tell teh guy what's wrong. He says I can't have anyone out to look at it, I say, it's fine, I can bring it in. (figuring it's much easier for them if I bring it in)
He says, 10am tomorrow

The wife brings it in at 10am Thursday, says we have a job with it Friday, need it back. Needs the electrical problem fixed, needs the overheating fixed, needs adjustment to get it in adn out of 4wd and the 3point raise needs adjustment (it has two speeds, slam it down, and slam it down hard). I call back at 4pm, because I need to go get it. He says " i haven't even written teh work order"

What the heck? I brought it in when you told me to bring it in. You assembled it (which is really starting to worry me) and it has a grand total of 3 (yes, three) hours on it. GO FIX IT.
AT 9am today, the owner is getting called. I'm beyond livid. I had to look like an idiot and mvoe the job today, and I'm not sure what I can book.

I have an appointment next week for the TN's 50 hour service, guess where it's NOT going? I'd rather truck it 60+ miles to the other dealer. :mad:

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #13  
Farmwithjunk said:
For most of my "tractorin' years" I've advocated SIMPLE, BASIC, EASY-TO-WORK-ON tractors over high tech models. With a box of basic tools, a stack of manuals, and a little mechanical aptitude, anyone could tear into my MF150 and make most repairs. Through the first 10 years I owned this tractor, there were no issues with anything that would have qualified as "warranty repairs". And anything since was easy enough to repair under the nearest shadetree. Simple doesn't seem to break as often as high tech, in my world anyway.

AGREE! keep it simple, I don't want a tractor with a computer on it.
And I am not a technophobe, the bleeding edge of computer tech is how I make my living.

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #14  
Man, if I had a tractor that was three hours old and having problems, I'd expect the dealer to be falling all over himself to make it right. I know it is a pain for the dealer, but you just spent a ton of money with him.

I did have a problem with my tractor at about 20 hours. An o-ring on the rear remote went out and it leaked. I had to take it to the dealer since my tractor is 2 countys away, but they fixed it in a day or so (I couldn't pick it up for a week anyway.)

In any case, he needs to make it right real quick. What he shoudlreally do, since you use your machine for work, is give you a loaner immediately.

I also like simple machines. Price had a lot to do with me selecting my Kubota L4400 but being able to work on it myself also had a influence. My B-I-L just down the road has an extensive tractor shop (he's a farmer) so I figured that after the warranty 'we' would be able to take care of anything short of a complete engine rebuild.

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #15  
I had a small problem on my new JD 990 where the FEL hoses were routed wrong and getting hit by the front tire.

Called the dealer and emailed him a picture of the problem.......he called me; emailed me; and a couple days later its fixed.....a technician drove 20 miles to my house,cut the hoses to size and repaired them right there on site.

I'm happy so far

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #16  
I know what you mean.

While the dealer I bought from was responsive to the odd problem they just left me feeling like they had no clue and I have lost trust in them.

On purchase, they didn't do basic things like sell me (or suggest) a ballast box or loaded tires with the machine and loader. This is basic stuff to educate someone on if you know you are selling them a tractor loader. I only found out about the need for ballast after coming here.

Known 3PT hitch issue with the L3400 - I advised them about this ahead of time. They swore up and down that my machine would not suffer from it. Machine did. They were responsive and go the valve replaced.

Delivered me a 4 ft Woods bush hog when I had paid for a 5 ft. Heck they proceeded to tell me that by 'method of elimination' they believe I have the right one. I had to point out that even the serial number on the thing was different from the one on the reciept.

8 mo. after I had my stuff, I went to slip the slip clutch on the rotary cutter - I had explicitly asked for it and it was priced into what I paid for it. Guess what - no slip clutch :)...

Bye bye dealer. I've bought about 4 other implements but not from them. My tractor is going in for its 50 hour service and won't be going to them. I've found another dealer - lets see if they are decent or not.

Given its a simple machine I wonder if I wouldn't be better off just taking it down to the local used tractor dealer and getting him to do all the regular maintenance on it. I guess I could always purchase filters, fluids if necessary from a Kubota dealer. I imagine that even things like adding remotes, hyd. top link etc. can be done by any reasonable tractor mechanic?

If I were at all mechanically inclined and / or had the time to learn / do the work myself, thats what I would be doing.

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #17  
Here's a suggestion for you cowboy -- take the tractor and a big piece of posterboard with a bright yellow lemon on it to the dealer. Tell him you will park in his front lot and wait there until they fix it. Have handouts to give to any and all who will take them explaining how you were treated. I suspect you might have the sheriff come to see you. Be sure to call the local newspaper to tell them what's going on and ask the dealer how much free publicity he would like.

Your situation is reminiscent of a time I went through a drive through and got a wrong special order which I didn't find out about until I got home to the kids and for which the place was not very sorry (yet). I went back to the restaurant a few days later at their busiest time with the boat behind the truck. I placed my special order -- plain cheeseburger -- and they asked me to pull into the special order waiting parking place. I explained about the boat not really fitting into a single spot with a curb at the front of it. They asked me to pull around. I declined, explaining that I wanted to simply wait for them to get my order correct and that I would be sure to carefully check it this time. The line behind me was getting long and PO'ed. The manager threatened to have the police come to tell me to move. I asked him how it would look in the local paper to have the police respond to a low level call sooner than they could get me a hamburger. He scowled and cussed, but I got my order -- correct and much quicker than if I had gone to the waiting area in a car.

Yeah, I know I was being a jerk to the people in line behind me, but the fact that they either moved to a different restaurant or were very unhappy when they came to the window and had to be dealt with should have served to make the manager and staff know that it doesn't pay to screw up a customer's order.

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #18  
Cowboy,

A good Dealer should supply a BUSINESS owner with a Loaner unit ( or give a CHEAP RENTAL rate ) to use until his unit has been repaired under warranty.

This will speed up the repairs , to get their loaner back with as little Hours of use as possible.

Dan

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #19  
Seems to me alot of you guys get really shoddy service.
I can honestly say the vast majority of places I deal with give exceptional service, difference in culture across the pond?
Last week I had a problem with a hydraulic hose order. The company owner called me up and sorted it well out of hours. Back in business the next day, and I even got a follow up call to make sure it worked out!

Lone, if I were you I would drop the tractor back, and stop paying for it. Let them keep it, if they cant help at 3 hours on the clock they are dragging their feet, think about it 2 years down the line.
Go talk to the other commercial guys in your area and see where they go, go down there, let them know the problems you had, and that you think they can help you. Then buy from them and be happy.

The great thing about TBN is you can find others in your area, and find out where they shopped that they were happy with.

I've advocated SIMPLE, BASIC, EASY-TO-WORK-ON tractors over high tech models
I agree with you there! I never want to own a machine that the wiring diagram takes up more than one page :D

/ Do you know why people work on their own tractors? #20  
daTeacha said:
Here's a suggestion for you cowboy -- take the tractor and a big piece of posterboard with a bright yellow lemon on it to the dealer. Tell him you will park in his front lot and wait there until they fix it. Have handouts to give to any and all who will take them explaining how you were treated. I suspect you might have the sheriff come to see you. Be sure to call the local newspaper to tell them what's going on and ask the dealer how much free publicity he would like.

Your situation is reminiscent of a time I went through a drive through and got a wrong special order which I didn't find out about until I got home to the kids and for which the place was not very sorry (yet). I went back to the restaurant a few days later at their busiest time with the boat behind the truck. I placed my special order -- plain cheeseburger -- and they asked me to pull into the special order waiting parking place. I explained about the boat not really fitting into a single spot with a curb at the front of it. They asked me to pull around. I declined, explaining that I wanted to simply wait for them to get my order correct and that I would be sure to carefully check it this time. The line behind me was getting long and PO'ed. The manager threatened to have the police come to tell me to move. I asked him how it would look in the local paper to have the police respond to a low level call sooner than they could get me a hamburger. He scowled and cussed, but I got my order -- correct and much quicker than if I had gone to the waiting area in a car.

Yeah, I know I was being a jerk to the people in line behind me, but the fact that they either moved to a different restaurant or were very unhappy when they came to the window and had to be dealt with should have served to make the manager and staff know that it doesn't pay to screw up a customer's order.

Teach

I hope you didn't eat that burger cause they probably spit in it !!