Do you run your tiller at pto speed?

/ Do you run your tiller at pto speed?
Here's my take on lugging. I have an awful lot of experience on all kinds of diesel engines, from the little guys up to about 7,500 horsepower. On our little diesels in the Kubotas and the New Hollands, John Deere's, etc...I don't think there are many situations with a ground engaging implement that will lug an engine. Look at the operating temps of these little things - they're hardly working. Diesels don't like to be lugged, but they do need to work. Hundreds of no-load hours are far worse than a minute of lugging to get through a tough patch. On my tractor, you lose traction way before the engine lugs. Do the rpms drop? Yes! The governor also sufficiently recovers. That's how it's supposed to work. If the tractor is really laboring, black smoke, and the engine is on it's knees, that's lugging and that's bad. Making a diesel work is not bad. No need to rev the living daylights out of an engine for no good reason. There are plenty of engines that run for thousands of hours at far less than full rated rpm. Engine load is usually much more important.

Before you jump all over me, I'm not saying it's impossible to lug our little tractors. I'm sure a brush hog or mower in very tall thick grass can lug quite easily. My wood chipper can sure lug the engine if I feed it too big a log. I'm just referring to a ground engaging implement - in this case a tiller.

By the way, I just tried out the new beast - ran it at about 400 PTO rpms and it did just fine. Tractor didn't even flinch. The King Kutter Professional model I got sure does have a much cleaner look to it than the standard model. Looks much heavier duty from the topsides - for the same price it was a no brainer!