Do you use TBN from dial-up or Broadband?

/ Do you use TBN from dial-up or Broadband? #1  

sleepyhollow

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310, eHydro - R4, dual SVC, speedmatch/cruise, rear floods
Hi Folks,

My last post asked the creator of TBN whether posting video clips was possible. This would really benefit broadband-high speed Internet users, so how many of you fall into that category? Maybe if enough people use TBN through this type of service and there were enough extra ad dollars to support the extra disk space and network requirements, we might be able to do this...

So, by show of posts, how many of you TBN users are dial-up or high-speed (DSL, Cable, ISDN, Satellite, T1, T3 etc)????

Well, I use DSL. So there is the first post. Thanks,
Sleepyhollow

/ Do you use TBN from dial-up or Broadband? #2  
59.5% are on dial-up. 36.6% are on high speed.

/ Do you use TBN from dial-up or Broadband?
Muhammad,

Wow, I didn't know you guys kept track so precisely /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. Sorry to start something that didn't need to be started. In any case, TBN is a wonderful site and I am one of the many who appreciate the time and energy you put into keeping TBN going. I'm sure as time goes by and high speed access is available in more communities, those percentages will change. Sometimes technology just doesn't spread quick enough /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. When the time is right, I'm sure we'll be able to post video...

On the other hand... If the high speed TBN'rs are a lower percentage and of that percentage, even fewer have the equipment software to post the video, then would that limited number of people slow down the site for everyone else with out more disk/bandwidth? Just wondering...
Thanks,
Sleepyhollow

/ Do you use TBN from dial-up or Broadband? #4  
Well let's say you have one short video that is 3mb... and 500 people download it. That's 1.5gb... this stuff adds up quickly when you have 15,000 people on high-speed access. We could easily double or triple our server costs with video hosting.

Hmmm... I gues we'd have to buy a few more copies of your book to help with those kind of numbers /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I'm surprised <font color=green>Green</font color=green>, <font color=orange>Orange</font color=orange> and <font color=blue>Blue</font color=blue> don't advertise more at TBN with the incredible exposure of your user base.
Sleepyhollow

Muhammad,

I guess there is something to be said for distributed computing. Now if those of us who want to post video put it on our own websites, then the TBN impact would be no more than a few bytes worth of URL href strings for the links to our homepages.

That would put some natural limits on how much video we host, because too much would limit our own surfing if we host ourselves or would add extra cost if we pay someone else to host.

I think one of the TBN users has linked to his site where he has some video. Seemed to work nicely. Maybe that's the way to go. If I were Bill Gates, I would host TBN w/video posting just to be nice to the tractor community /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
Sleepyhollow

/ Do you use TBN from dial-up or Broadband? #7  
Yeah, you can host files on your own server and link to them if you want. Plenty of people do that.

/ Do you use TBN from dial-up or Broadband? #8  
At home (for now) I have dial-up. Hopefully that is to soon change to high speed cable. At work I have a T1. It is soooo.... nice

Jerry

/ Do you use TBN from dial-up or Broadband? #9  
Our home is at the end of a long, much-spliced run. There is a constant hiss over the telephone, so you can imagine what my connect speed is like! I also get bumped offline several times a day, and it generally takes 4 or 5 tries before I can get a connection in the first place. We also have only 70 amp service to the house.

The filthy rich person down the road, however, got the town to run brand new fiber optics to her 12,000sf mansion, and 200 amp service as well. Though the new wire passes within 300 yards of our home, we were unable to get the town to upgrade our service.

Makes me sort of resent wealth at times; are the rich somehow more deserving..?

Pete

/ Do you use TBN from dial-up or Broadband? #10  
Pete.
Like the old saying goes..in our area..squeaking wheel gets the grease,and money does talk.

Sure isn't fair at times!!