Do You Want A Backhoe With That?

/ Do You Want A Backhoe With That? #21  
Thanks for the transplanting tips. I'll give it a shot, it certainly beats doing it by hand!

/ Do You Want A Backhoe With That? #22  
Here's a tip from the heavy equipment forums regarding the usefulness of an industrial backhoe. It's pretty close to what I use mine for!

"Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but since we lowly TLB owners are now invited, I'll say that my 310C (or the 580E before that, or the 410B before that) is more useful than a pocket in my shirt.

Not only does it dig, load, fill, and backdrag, it boosts other machines, it is my portable crane, it rips frost, it pushes over trees, it sets telephone poles, it moves sheds, it pulls out stuck equipment, it is a mobile press, a mobile workbench and welding table, it splits wood, it is a radius-bender, a fire stoker and fire extinguisher, a rubble compactor, a childrens entertainment centre, a beaver dam renovation device (), a portable floodlight, a portable heated shelter, and most importantly, a friendship maker.

Really my point is that the machine takes air and diesel fuel, and turns that into the potential to do useful work. The sky is the limit of what you can do. I guess some things are harder on it than others, but I will keep doing them because they save work, or do something I couldn't otherwise do. If it breaks, well, a wrench will need to get turned. Really, if someone tells me that a machine shouldn't be used for that, well, to me, that is somewhat of a challenge too. Especially if I'm the one paying the freight and taking the risk."

/ Do You Want A Backhoe With That? #23  
Here's a tip from the heavy equipment forums regarding the usefulness of an industrial backhoe. It's pretty close to what I use mine for!

Not only does it dig, load, fill, and backdrag, it boosts other machines, it is my portable crane, it rips frost, it pushes over trees, it sets telephone poles, it moves sheds, it pulls out stuck equipment, it is a mobile press, a mobile workbench and welding table, it splits wood, it is a radius-bender, a fire stoker and fire extinguisher, a rubble compactor, a childrens entertainment centre, a beaver dam renovation device (), a portable floodlight, a portable heated shelter, and most importantly, a friendship maker.
"

I want to know how to split wood with mine! I though of maybe welding a wedge to the bucket or something, anyone ever done that? For whatever reason I always seem to have a few pieces that are impossible to split by hand.

/ Do You Want A Backhoe With That? #24  
My grandpa was a welder and he built a splitting wedge to go over the backhoe teeth for a guy. This was before I was born so no pics. Sorry!

/ Do You Want A Backhoe With That? #25  
I want to know how to split wood with mine! I though of maybe welding a wedge to the bucket or something, anyone ever done that? For whatever reason I always seem to have a few pieces that are impossible to split by hand.

When I tried it, I just used the the bucket tooth. Had the log upright on a solid base then held the bucket up a few inches above the log and swiftly dropped it. Not the most practical method but it did work.