Dodged a bullet

/ Dodged a bullet #11  
Yikes - you were lucky.
I fill four 5 gallon jugs when I make a diesel run.
Standard procedure is to perform a "sniff test" when I fill the yellow jugs.
My SOP is to do a sniff test whenever I open something not filled by me. I've had kids fill a lawnmower gas tank with diesel, made it REAL hard to start, soldiers fill generators with gas from cans labelled diesel. If it don't smell right, I don't use it.

I finally got to talk to the station manager:if I do have any problems I am to bring them the bill so that's good.I am sure I am alright with the fuel I have.
They did do damage to the tune of $20,000 to a Mercedes car,one Kubota tractor and an over the road truck belonging to the company that delivered the fuel in the first place.The new driver had put 1,000 gal of regular in the diesel tank.
Sniiff those cans, it's a lot easier to NOT use the fuel than to get the repairs.

/ Dodged a bullet #12  
Yikes - you were lucky.
I fill four 5 gallon jugs when I make a diesel run.
Standard procedure is to perform a "sniff test" when I fill the yellow jugs.
My SOP is to do a sniff test whenever I open something not filled by me. I've had kids fill a lawnmower gas tank with diesel, made it REAL hard to start, soldiers fill generators with gas from cans labelled diesel. If it don't smell right, I don't use it.

I finally got to talk to the station manager:if I do have any problems I am to bring them the bill so that's good.I am sure I am alright with the fuel I have.
They did do damage to the tune of $20,000 to a Mercedes car,one Kubota tractor and an over the road truck belonging to the company that delivered the fuel in the first place.The new driver had put 1,000 gal of regular in the diesel tank.
Sniiff those cans, it's a lot easier to NOT use the fuel than to get the repairs.

/ Dodged a bullet #13  
Unfortunately for some of us old folks, the sniffer ain,t what it used to be, so the sniff test doesn,t work for us as well as it should.

/ Dodged a bullet #14  
Up here in Ontario the diesel pump handles are a bright yellow. I have bought a few yellow plastic "gas" cans and only fill them with diesel. If it's red, it's gas; if it's ye;;ow it's diesel.

we have to watch here.

our local stations have started carrying E85 and give them yellow handles!

/ Dodged a bullet #15  
Up here in Ontario the diesel pump handles are a bright yellow. I have bought a few yellow plastic "gas" cans and only fill them with diesel. If it's red, it's gas; if it's ye;;ow it's diesel.

That doesn't fix the delivery driver putting the wrong product into the in ground tank.

Chris

/ Dodged a bullet #16  
I wonder how effective a sniff test would be in this case?

I would assume there would still be some diesel in the tank. So at what ratio of gas to diesel does it become obvious? or no longer foam?

/ Dodged a bullet #17  
Trust.

So embedded in all we do.
That there really is gasoline/diesel in the tank when so marked.
That people we encounter daily are trust worthy...won't steal credit card numbers, for example.
That when we leave our home there will not be a burglary while we are gone.
That other drivers on the road will exercise appropriate care for road conditions and follow appropriate rules of the road.
That we will be treated with respect and fairly by employers or government administrators.

When trust is broken, sometimes it is unquestionably so....mislabeled fuel is an example.
Sometimes, it is a matter of perception...fair treatment, for example.

Seems to me that trust is fundamental to human happiness. If all were completely trustworthy, then we could proceed with great confidence in our endeavors with vigor unabated by energies frittered away in resolving errors or double checking to insure that trust is not abrogated.

May we all have a trust worthy day!

/ Dodged a bullet #18  
Ah, talk about damage... my brother was test flying a 6 person turbo prop, which used av gas. He and 2 other guys were considering buying it. They had it filled with fuel while they were talking with the owner. As they were waiting for clearance at the end of the runway, the engine started running rough and then died. The fuel truck guy had filled it with jet A. Had they been cleared a few minutes earlier, which could have easily been the case, they would have been just airborne over a densely populated suburban area. They passed on the plane.

/ Dodged a bullet #19  
Ah, talk about damage... my brother was test flying a 6 person turbo prop, which used av gas. He and 2 other guys were considering buying it. They had it filled with fuel while they were talking with the owner. As they were waiting for clearance at the end of the runway, the engine started running rough and then died. The fuel truck guy had filled it with jet A. Had they been cleared a few minutes earlier, which could have easily been the case, they would have been just airborne over a densely populated suburban area. They passed on the plane.

This would not have been a turbo prop, they will run on Jet Fuel or Aviation Gas. It more than likely a turbocharged piston engine. Jet fuel would not work. It would be like putting diesel in a gas engine.

Chris

/ Dodged a bullet #20  
My bad. It was indeed a turbocharged piston engine. I can't remember what aircraft, as this was 25 years ago. He went on to own a Meridian turbo prop, which was a jet fuel turbine.