Does 4WD Make That Much Difference

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #1  

BigTee

Tractor
Mahindra eMax 25
I've looked at a 1538 and also the 5525 or 4540 in 2WD. I will mostly be mowing, plowing and discing on about 50 acres. I do have some roads to take care of and they are on hills. Would I be better with the bigger 2WD or stick with the 4WD, price range is a big factor.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #2  
In my opinion, yes 4wd makes a HUGE difference

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #3  
4WD Yes...:thumbsup:

2WD with chains gets darn close.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #4  
Yes... Yes it does..It makes huge difference. 4wd with chains... even better yet when it gets icy. If you have steep hills.. you can forget about the 2wd. You only get to use your tractor once, then it arrives at the bottom of the steep slippery hill, and that is where it lives for the rest of its life.:) At least around here that is what would happen.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #5  
Just bought my first 4wd tractor. I, too, live on hills. Night and day difference from 2WD especially with FEL. 4WD is the way to go. New tractor is 35hp but can do more dirt work than my 50hp.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #6  
I like to look at it this way. 4wd is better then twice 2wd. On a 2wd the rear wheels have to propel themselves as well as push the fronts. On a 4wd every wheel looks after itself. It would be like trying to carry another person through deep snow rather then each of you walking on their own.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #7  
Yes ..It most certainly does..I have owned 2wd tractors for most of my life and they served me well. Nothing wrong with them ,depending on your terrain, and what you are going to do with them..After my first 4wd tractor purchase, as with my truck..I would never be without one again..
Regard's
Sean

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #8  
Yeah, my first tractor was a 2wd. But it was a big heavy utility tractor with loaded AG tires too. And the ground I was operating on was mostly flat. It still got stuck quite a bit. But the larger the tractor, with really larger rear wheels, makes a big difference. But if you have a lot of steep hills (like I do here) your really have to have 4wd

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #9  
If you don't have a loader I think 2wd would be ok. If it is wet enough to get stuck then you don't need to be plowing or grading anyway. I'd take a larger 2wd. In low traction conditions it makes a big difference, but very minimal on firm ground. You are not even supposed to use 4wd on hard ground.

/ Does 4WD Make That Much Difference #10  
I will mostly be mowing, plowing and discing on about 50 acres. I do have some roads to take care of and they are on hills. Would I be better with the bigger 2WD or stick with the 4WD, price range is a big factor.
So mostly field work. 2WD would be fine. Most field tractors have been 2WD for the last 100 years.
When you say take care of roads, what do you mean?