Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood?

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #1  

bacrow

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 33
I have run short of firewood this year. Rather than buying wood I am trying to "catch up". If I cut down a dead tree, or cut up a fallen tree propped up on another, is it still considered "green"? I want to burn it right away. I suppose seasoning it for a year would be best, but I don't have that luxury. It still burns, but maybe not as hot. I have a pile of trees from some dozer work almost two years ago, and I am starting there.

My definition of "green" is cutting down a living tree. I wouldn't even attempt to burn it right away.

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #2  
The water content will be higher than Seasoned wood but should burn for you.

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #3  
"Green" refers to the moisture content. Your dozer trees as well as your dead tree should be okay to burn. If they make alot of smoke and sizzling sounds then they have too much moisture. That could cause creosote buildup in your chimney which is dangerous.

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #4  
Standing trees will still wick water out of the ground in their capillary tubes. They stay surprisingly wet. Your downed trees have seasoned some, though slowly.

Water in the wood costs you heat because it boils the water up the chimney. Keep the draft open more for green wood, and clean the chimney every couple months.

Ash is the best wood for heating with green wood.

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #5  
standing dead locust is my favorite firewood. i find its way better than the stuff that's lying on the ground.

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #6  
Depends on how long it has been dead. Should work if it isn't too recent or too old and decayed.

Ralph

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #7  
The stuff pushed over from teh dozer work 2 years ago should be good to cut and burn. If I was running low on wood, I would use it. Might just cut the ends first and burn them, leaving the new area exposed to season a bit more. :2cents:

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #8  
The two year old knocked down trees are probably as seasoned as anything you would/could buy. Sounds like their roots have been out of the ground, so I say burn it and see what happens. The limb wood will be drier than the main trunk.

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #9  
I've burned a lot of fresh cut green wood. Harder to start. Harder to maintain. Creosotes the chimney. Beats the snot outta no wood. :rolleyes:

/ Does a dead tree still make for "green" firewood? #10  
The dead trees are harder to cut and split, but they should burn just fine.