Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection?

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #21  
Your to funny

I am. And FWIW, for future reference, the 'to' you are using is with two 'o's, as in too funny. Or two guys walk into the barn, and I'm going to Jefro's house Ma, after I clean out the barn stalls.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #22  
It really doesn't matter, the question remains. Does anyone do a compression check as pre-purchase inspection?

It's a very simple question. Useful replies could add to the information on how to evaluate any engine's condition.

From the replies, I think not many have ever done a compression check, nor would know what values were meaningful if they did.

Myself, I like to put a vacuum gauge on any normally aspirated multi cylinder engine. Chain saws, I can tell all I need just by pulling the cord. ;-)

On a Compression ignition engine, it is often easiest to gain access by way of the pre heaters. No messing with the fuel system that way. Be sure to hold the fuel cut off closed when cranking for the compression reading!

Pre-heaters are commonly referred to as glow plugs, and in this case you're wrong; I for one am very familiar with diesel engine compression tests, and still have the gear to perform them when needed. But the best way to get a sense of engine condition is to do an oil sample analysis which is relatively cheap, and a good predictor of general engine condition based on knowing the # of hours and general use of the engine in question. Yes one could do a diesel compression test if warranted, but condition can be seen/heard, smelled, if smoke is present at startup from cold condition and listened to during warm-up. Diesels do tend to mask some adverse engine noise if the fuel injectors are misfiring, dirty or noisy. Mis-adjusted IPs can also make a diesel run crappy. (Injection Pumps=IP).

IMO, oil analysis is more effective than a random compression test, and more likely to be acceptable to a seller to take a sample of oil from the crankcase than the more invasive compression test procedure.
My shop routinely dealt with Mercedes Benz diesels, BMW and VOLVO. Occasional VWs, but mostly the turbo diesel Benzes. We ran few, but some compression tests, as needed. With the exception of needing frequent oil and filter changes, especially during the winter months, and 'cut' fuel, they ran pretty flawlessly. Occasionally radiator header gaskets and climate control modules would blow up, but not every day.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #23  
I am. And FWIW, for future reference, the 'to' you are using is with two 'o's, as in too funny. Or two guys walk into the barn, and I'm going to Jefro's house Ma, after I clean out the barn stalls.

Don’t forget. It was you’re.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #24  
Don’t forget. It was you’re.

As an abbreviation, yes, in my case, I wrote out the words and chose not to abbreviate. And its definitely NOT 'your' as so many use when they mean; 'you're' dog ate the service manual.

English ain't easy, but American usage is complete butchery, IMO. :confused3:

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #25  
I know, but it drives you crazy when people say it that way.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #26  
I haven’t done a compression test at the time of purchase. However, had I done one on a particular truck years ago, I probably would’ve bought a different truck. I was 15 and learned a good lesson!

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection?
Thread death!

When the GUM (Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics) police start in, there is nothing more that can be shared.
Thank god for the spoken word! True communication with eye and face expression and emphasis through hand gestures.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #28  
Thread death!

When the GUM (Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics) police start in, there is nothing more that can be shared.
Thank god for the spoken word! True communication with eye and face expression and emphasis through hand gestures.

Ain't that the truth. There being two funny

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection? #29  
I wouldn't do it, or allow a potential buyer to do one for some of the reasons mentioned above. If the price is right sometimes you have to take a chance. Both of my Kubotas have been purchased from dealers for that reason; they offered enough of a warrantee so that you can test it out and tell if there's a problem.
As for the grandma police, their seams two bee moor of a personal conflict than anything; I think that wee all new what the posts weir trying too say.

/ Does anyone do a compression check as pre purchase inspection?
;-)..................