Does HP matter?

/ Does HP matter? #81  
I would simply say that both tractors are able to put the same amount of torque to the ground, but the higher HP one will can do it quicker and with less lugging. That dont necessairly mean at a lower RPM.
Why wont the higher HP be able to put more?

/ Does HP matter? #82  
jenkinsph said:
LD1 and DarkBlack,

You guys need to speed up your responses:licking: I ain't got al night.:laughing:

Literally laughing out loud...

/ Does HP matter? #83  

If the input torque and gearing in the transmission is the same, then the output is the same. Since the OP (way back long ago) asked about two tractors with the SAME tq but differing HP.

In reality, it unlikely to have two tractors with the same torque curve across the board, and differing in HP. Cause the HP curve would be the same as long as the torque curve is the same. The difference may lie if one of the engines has a higher rated speed and achieves their MAX power at that higher speed. Then you could "possibly" have two engines with identical HP and torque curves, yet one may be rated at a higher HP.

/ Does HP matter? #84  
I would simply say that both tractors are able to put the same amount of torque to the ground, but the higher HP one will can do it quicker and with less lugging. That dont necessairly mean at a lower RPM.
If the input torque and gearing in the transmission is the same, then the output is the same. Since the OP (way back long ago) asked about two tractors with the SAME tq but differing HP.

In reality, it unlikely to have two tractors with the same torque curve across the board, and differing in HP. Cause the HP curve would be the same as long as the torque curve is the same. The difference may lie if one of the engines has a higher rated speed and achieves their MAX power at that higher speed. Then you could "possibly" have two engines with identical HP and torque curves, yet one may be rated at a higher HP.
Theres all of it. Thats the info necessary to make the post stand alone. :)
...larry

/ Does HP matter? #85  
And IIRC the two tractors in the original post did not have the same torque values, one had 80ftlbs and one had 88ftlbs which is 10% more.

/ Does HP matter? #86  
Theres all of it. Thats the info necessary to make the post stand alone. :)
...larry

Correct. But I assumed we were still talking about the OP's hypothetical example. And didnt see the need in spelling it out EVERYTIME. Perhaps maybe I should have.??

And IIRC the two tractors in the original post did not have the same torque values, one had 80ftlbs and one had 88ftlbs which is 10% more.

Correct. I dont know where the OP was getting his numbers at initially, but the two tractors indeed dont make the same "peak" torque. There could be somewhere in the RPM range that they may be the same (or near the same), but peak is peak, and they are not capable of making the same "peak" torque.

/ Does HP matter? #87  
I think maybe the target of the discussion moved around, perhaps even to tease out nuances. But you fellows made it right clear and I do believe folks who read the thread will be well informed.

/ Does HP matter? #88  
Correct. But I assumed we were still talking about the OP's hypothetical example. And didnt see the need in spelling it out EVERYTIME. Perhaps maybe I should have.??

Correct. I dont know where the OP was getting his numbers at initially, but the two tractors indeed dont make the same "peak" torque. There could be somewhere in the RPM range that they may be the same (or near the same), but peak is peak, and they are not capable of making the same "peak" torque.
I think there is alevel of understanding that provides the ability to fill in a blank as it exists in discussion. All do not understand equally. If it is even present in the initial conditions, I know I, and perhaps many have lost sight of the stipulation that torque, gearing, tractor size, weight, load position, and CG are identical in this thot game . The only allowed difference is HP. Establishing this, and maintaining it in the forefront by frequent allusion, will help keep posts pertinent.
larry

/ Does HP matter? #89  
I think there is alevel of understanding that provides the ability to fill in a blank as it exists in discussion. All do not understand equally. If it is even present in the initial conditions, I know I, and perhaps many have lost sight of the stipulation that torque, gearing, tractor size, weight, load position, and CG are identical in this thot game . The only allowed difference is HP. Establishing this, and maintaining it in the forefront by frequent allusion, will help keep posts pertinent.
larry

Yes, the initial post was asking about the deere 3032e and 3038e and to my knowledge, they are idnetical tractors other than peak HP. The OP mentioned something about the torque being the same. (we now know that isnt the case). But to my knowledge, all other aspects of the tractor, weight, gearing, tire size, etc are identical. Similar to the 2800/3200/3400/3700/3800 kubotas.

And in the OP, he was asking IF added HP in a case where torque and other things are equal, if it would be of benefit.

And the short and simple of it is.....the lower HP machine can do JUST as much work (provide the same amount of force) as the higher HP machine. The higher HP machine can simply do that work at a faster pace.

/ Does HP matter? #90  
Yes, the initial post was asking about the deere 3032e and 3038e and to my knowledge, they are idnetical tractors other than peak HP. The OP mentioned something about the torque being the same. (we now know that isnt the case). But to my knowledge, all other aspects of the tractor, weight, gearing, tire size, etc are identical. Similar to the 2800/3200/3400/3700/3800 kubotas.

And in the OP, he was asking IF added HP in a case where torque and other things are equal, if it would be of benefit.

And the short and simple of it is.....the lower HP machine can do JUST as much work (provide the same amount of force) as the higher HP machine. The higher HP machine can simply do that work at a faster pace.

This last post raises a valid point. Just what is the practical benefit of about 6 more hp? the 3038 has a turbo? It costs alot more probably because of this. If a person using their tractor for pushing snow or pulling logs is only able to go just so fast, then in my mind the expense of the 3038 would be foolish. I mean the darn things weigh the same. Cutting grass is another issue all together. If a person cutting 1 or 2 acres of grass is able to do it faster with the additional 6 hp, then I'd want to know what my 3 grand extra is buying in time saved for me to make a informed decision to justify the added expense. This to me is the practical side of this size tractor and for that matter, this thread in general.