Does it ever end

/ Does it ever end #1  

Taylortractornut

Elite Member
Tractor
3550 Fard Backhoe and a 1948 Farmall Cub,
I have to vent a little. I have a new girlfriend and have been staying with her a lot she live 50 minutes from me. My weekend with my daughter was messed up this week as she had a birthdY party to go to. I stayed with girlfriend and went into work this morning and get a call from a guy wanting some information. We are owned by a local tc company and everyone assumes we bury valuable treasure.

This guy calls asking me what it would take to get a load of that good lumber they throw away at the pull behind plant. He says I see what they throw away. I told him it was mostly scrap and what was culled at the plant that was good gets taken by employees. Then he asked about the saw dust we get from the cabinet shop 40 miles away. What will it take to get a load dropped off at his house. I say 150. He freaks out claiming we could give it to him since we are dumping it. I try to be nice and explain I can't tie a rolloff truck up with a special dumpster to give away shavings. Most times poultry houses buy them. But he could drop me off a trailer or a dump truck and I could load at a minimal cost. 5 to ten dollars per trailer load. He then says thats too much. I tried to explain that when it's loaded I'm tying up a worker and a loader or excavator, trying to get off the phone the guy says can you throw out some lumber for me. I said no too busy then asks about coming out to scavenge I said it wasn't allowed and the amount of trucks dumping at one time and a dozer on the working face and a 90000 pound compactor I couldn't. I hang up the phone 10 minutes later it's the crazy Pinterest lady wanting me to throw her out some good pallets. She asked what we did with them I said the ones that aren't get crushed. I'm on the hoe loading cover and see some truck drive in the lot and down into the working face almost getting hit by my 730 haul truck. More people wanting to take a few of our old rolloff off our hands for swimming pools.

/ Does it ever end #3  
People are used to getting free stuff from the government, and think the private sector should follow through. It'll happen, gov't will take over healthcare first, then your retirement, then pretty much everything else. Think about that when you vote on Nov 8 and choose accordingly.

/ Does it ever end #4  
I'm sure many, if not most, of our members are too young to remember that before we had "landfills" we had "town dumps". Besides the trash hauling companies and city crews, individuals could haul their own trash to the dump, AND individuals frequently rummaged through the dump to take things they thought they might use. As late as 1970-71, I hauled trash to our town dump on a couple of occasions, and I once asked the guy working there about getting a pickup load of clean sandy soil. I had my shovel, expecting to load some, but he very quickly filled my little pickup with one scoop of his front end loader. No charge, but I did hand him a $5 bill when I thanked him.

Ah yes, the world's different now.

/ Does it ever end
Sorry for the jumbled post. I was typing in between loading the haul truck. I don't mind giving stuff away but it gets me when they expect you to stack it out for them. I had a guy a few months ago an older guy asked for some sand I have a sand cut in nice sand I loaded his trailer with the 910 Cat. Then a dump truck came in 3 days later wanting the load of sand he bought from the older guy.

I was floored that the old guy brokered a load of sand. I told the driver I'd load this load but we didn't sell sand.

/ Does it ever end #6  
This guy calls asking me what it would take to get a load of that good lumber they throw away at the pull behind plant. He says I see what they throw away. I told him it was mostly scrap and what was culled at the plant that was good gets taken by employees. Then he asked about the saw dust we get from the cabinet shop 40 miles away. What will it take to get a load dropped off at his house. I say 150. He freaks out claiming we could give it to him since we are dumping it. I try to be nice and explain I can't tie a rolloff truck up with a special dumpster to give away shavings. Most times poultry houses buy them. But he could drop me off a trailer or a dump truck and I could load at a minimal cost. 5 to ten dollars per trailer load. He then says thats too much. I tried to explain that when it's loaded I'm tying up a worker and a loader or excavator, trying to get off the phone the guy says can you throw out some lumber for me. I said no too busy then asks about coming out to scavenge I said it wasn't allowed and the amount of trucks dumping at one time and a dozer on the working face and a 90000 pound compactor I couldn't. I hang up the phone 10 minutes later it's the crazy Pinterest lady wanting me to throw her out some good pallets. She asked what we did with them I said the ones that aren't get crushed. I'm on the hoe loading cover and see some truck drive in the lot and down into the working face almost getting hit by my 730 haul truck. More people wanting to take a few of our old rolloff off our hands for swimming pools.{End QUOTE}

Just some of the reason that most businesses wont allow scavengers or "give aways" to anyone. As soon as you let them scavenge, then someone will throw out a few "good" pieces so they can pick them up as scrap. It just encouraged theft from the businesses employees. I know it sounds like a waste of material that some folks can use but it becomes a problem as the OP says with folks misusing the good nature of a business's management.

/ Does it ever end #7  
The guy that lives across the street from my in-laws was just about crushed to death in his pickup truck by a large front end loader while driving around in a recycling facility a few years ago. Broke his back. Crushed the truck. No scavengers makes perfect sense.

/ Does it ever end #8  
I don't get upset with people like that. They are too fun to play with.

A while ago, I saw a grocery store employee wheeling a quite full cart of fried chicken out back to be disposed of at the end of the day. Giving it away, would undermine their business or worse, a homeless person could choke on a chicken bone.

/ Does it ever end #9  
Yes. It ends shortly after you learn to say, "No." Every time. No exceptions.

/ Does it ever end #10  
I don't see what shacking up has to do with this story.