Does the math work?

/ Does the math work? #31  
With 5 acres I might just use my tractor and a rotary cutter.

/ Does the math work?
With 5 acres I might just use my tractor and a rotary cutter.

I mow the big pastures with the rotary cutter. I have a 10’ that goes behind the tractor and a 7’ for the skid steer which is a really heavy duty unit and more for cutting brush than grass.

The areas I mow with the zero turn are places like my front and back yard, dog run, along my driveway, etc. All areas I can’t fit my tractor on nor would I want that rough of a cut. Lots of trees, etc to go around. It needs to be a zero turn. That’s what I use now. It works good. I just either need to upgrade the one I have or punt and just hire it out going forward.

I don’t know why but I spend a lot of time thinking about things like this. I don’t either way would significantly impact my life I just often wonder at what point if any should I quit trying to do things myself and hire them done.

/ Does the math work? #33  
... It needs to be a zero turn. That’s what I use now. It works good. I just either need to upgrade the one I have or punt and just hire it out going forward.

I don’t know why but I spend a lot of time thinking about things like this. I don’t either way would significantly impact my life I just often wonder at what point if any should I quit trying to do things myself and hire them done.

Sounds like how you want to spend your time (i.e. how you value your time) is a big part of the "math".
Only you know the answer.
However...what about...if you bought the mower, is there somebody you could hire to mow with it if you didn't feel like doing it yourself?
Hiring somebody for a couple hours should be a lot cheaper than $350 a go.

/ Does the math work? #34  
No matter how one values their personal time or whether or not they feel like mowing, I don't see the need for an expensive commercial mower. ZTs are available for much less that will last a number of years. At the point it might need replacing, the situation could be re-evaluated.

/ Does the math work?
No matter how one values their personal time or whether or not they feel like mowing, I don't see the need for an expensive commercial mower. ZTs are available for much less that will last a number of years. At the point it might need replacing, the situation could be re-evaluated.

I can certainly understand that logic. My main thing is wanting something diesel and getting away from having anything gas powered. We have bulk diesel on site which sure beats a thirty minute round trip to town to fill up a five gallon gas can.

I assumed since this was the Kubota lawn mower section there would be a lot of people in here that own these high end mowers and could comment on their experiences and if the purchase was worth it. Several people have mentioned they tend to hold their value very well which is good.

/ Does the math work? #36  
I have a diesel Grasshopper that I love but I think the Kubota is a better unit. If I was dropping that much money on a mower it would be orange.

/ Does the math work? #37  
I assumed since this was the Kubota lawn mower section there would be a lot of people in here that own these high end mowers and could comment on their experiences and if the purchase was worth it. Several people have mentioned they tend to hold their value very well which is good.

I got my first ZD 13 Years ago (ZD326) for the easier fuel handling and mowing speed. I also hate dealing with gasoline. As I started cutting more lawns I added a ZD331 with a 72" deck, and that thing flies. Over the last 3 years the 72" has saved me about 150 hours of seat time compared to the 60" mower.
The 72" deck can dig in to the turf, particularly when getting into or out of ditches. I mow about a dozen multi acre residential lawns and with due care the 72" does fine.

/ Does the math work? #38  
I mow the big pastures with the rotary cutter. I have a 10’ that goes behind the tractor and a 7’ for the skid steer which is a really heavy duty unit and more for cutting brush than grass.

The areas I mow with the zero turn are places like my front and back yard, dog run, along my driveway, etc. All areas I can’t fit my tractor on nor would I want that rough of a cut. Lots of trees, etc to go around. It needs to be a zero turn. That’s what I use now. It works good. I just either need to upgrade the one I have or punt and just hire it out going forward.

I mow 2 1/2 acres with a 60" zero turn (Toro HD 2000, 25 hp) and it takes me about 2-1/2 to 3 hrs. Most of my land is trees so lot of maneuvering. Also I change blades about every 3 mows as I'm constantly running over small branches so I carry 3 sets of blades.

5 acres would be a lot for me to mow as I get tired of being exposed to dust and grime.

I'm surprised you couldn't navigate much of your mowing with a tractor and finish mower?

/ Does the math work? #39  
Buy a ZD1211. I have a 72". Dealer says they sell a ton of them. Easy to see why. I had a ZD28 72" that 2 dealers got in a bidding war for to trade. Had a front mount Kubota before that. You will not have an issue getting what you want for the ZD1211 in a few years if you change your mind.

Been 36 years since I mowed grass with a gas engine. No way going back.

/ Does the math work? #40  
My strong belief is "He who mows it, knows it."

If you enjoy taking care of your property, mow it yourself. While mowing I learn every dip and bump in the property, every tree, every nook and cranny. I see what needs care, what is doing well, and what I want to change. Plus, it gets done right when I do it. I can adjust timing of mowing, height, etc, to weather conditions. I know where new plantings have gone in and where special care is necessary.

Get a front mount mower, either a diesel Grasshopper like I have, or a Kubota Front Mount (for about $8k more). The collection system on the Grasshopper is hard to beat. The 72 inch deck leaves the lawn looking like a golf course.