Does this SUCK or what...

/ Does this SUCK or what... #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
No not a vaccumn post...

I'm about to get in my truck, drive about 10 miles, purchase a radiator cap for my L2500...and pay $30(no tax)!!! Not to worry at our favorite Internet parts depot it's $19.50 plus the shipping.

I might as well buy a new tractor while I'm there. Everyone wants to talk about the "service" and "deal" a dealer provides. How about selling OEM parts at a reasonable price. $30 for a cap is NOT what I call reasonable. Remember if you take it in for service, you get this price plus the shop price. And when I was running service calls and repairing engines...we had a 20% up charge on any part used in the field. I guess this was time in rounding up possible parts, etc.

OK sorry, RANT over... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Does this SUCK or what... #2  
I think my NH dealer/CNH wanting $500 for one single rear remote kit is way way to much.

Randy

/ Does this SUCK or what... #3  
I guess if we were in the business of supplying the parts, we would have to be paid for keeping the door open when no-one was buying parts, or else our door would close when we went out of business.
I don't disagree that the prices are high, but I don't figure they will get cheaper until there is some competition with someone selling the same part for less money. Competition is what is needed. Now, anyone for opening a parts store that is cheaper? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Does this SUCK or what... #4  
You know, I've noticed the same thing about JD, CNH, and Kubota. I've spent over 100K with the JD and Kubota dealer each and I still get hit for 100% list (maybe plus) for parts each time I go in. If I am buying a cheap part I just pay it and go on. However, if it's an expensive part I have to talk with the owner and ask him if he wants to sell me the part or if he wants his customer to buy parts over the internet from another (whatever brand he is) dealer. They probably think I'm a tight 'you know what', but I don't care.

/ Does this SUCK or what... #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think my NH dealer/CNH wanting $500 for one single rear remote kit is way way to much. )</font>

A specially designed for your tractor model, low volume, parts assembly. Considering all the engineering expense that had to go into that assembly, the price is about industry average. A remote of that type is not a commodity part like a radiator cap. You can't compare apples to oranges.

/ Does this SUCK or what... #6  
On a lot of parts like the radiator cap it seems there is always a cross over. If you had a little time and a cooperative parts man at a discount auto supply you should be able to find the correct cap at a lot lower price. Example: The A/C fuse on a John Deere 30 , 40 or 50 series tractor as I remember it, they were around $8 at Deere but only a couple of bucks at the local auto parts store.

/ Does this SUCK or what...
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( On a lot of parts like the radiator cap it seems there is always a cross over. If you had a little time and a cooperative parts man at a discount auto supply you should be able to find the correct cap at a lot lower price. Example: The A/C fuse on a John Deere 30 , 40 or 50 series tractor as I remember it, they were around $8 at Deere but only a couple of bucks at the local auto parts store. )</font>

Part of my point and rant. I wouldn't think Kubota has 35 different radiator caps. IF that are smart they have 2-3 tops. But buying OEM parts for my 2500 I see there is a lot of markup already. If you compare our Internet parts guy selling for $20 and still making some money, to the dealer selling for $30. Easy to think there is a plenty of markup. Using some knowledge from when I was repairing engines the dealer probably about $10 tops for the cap. And I would think it's less than that. The part also came from Japan (looking at the box). If it's a standard tested 12psi (or whatever) cap, why not get one from a 3rd party over here instead of a third party in Japan.

Rant off again. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Does this SUCK or what... #8  
I buy a lot of items from the Internet and have found that a lot of times the sellers do not ship items the cheapest way. A $20 dollar item purchased on the Internet may well end up costing me over $30 by the time I pay shipping, handling and insurance.
I will pay the dealers price if I have no other choice or I need a part real bad but if I have the chance or choice I will spend the time shopping for a better priced item of equal quality. $30 for a radiator cap, in my opinion, is a bit much.
Farwell

/ Does this SUCK or what... #9  
RobJ:
I agree with MarlandS. When the radiator cap went on my Ford 1100 I drove down to the "local" (~20 miles) discount autoparts store and purchased a 13 PSI radiator cap that was compatible with my Japanese radiator cap. I did take the original cap with me for comparison and I was able to find a replacement for a couple of bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Jay

/ Does this SUCK or what... #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You can't compare apples to oranges.
)</font>

Okay, but that same remote kit has sold for the last five years at least for less than $250. Suddenly, it price jumps to $500. That's an apples to apples comparison, but one of them has a worm in it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif