Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills?

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills? #1  

JDX

Guys, I just got my new 620i XUV and while driving it slowly downhill I noticed when the RPM's dropped to idle the belt disengaged and it went into freewheel mode with no engine braking - only the brakes to slow it down.

Is this normal or is something out of adjustment on mine?

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills? #2  
Completely normal, all Gators do it. The centrifugal clutch disengages when the engine is at idle. I'm used to it but it's probably the worst feature of Gators. You can hold down on the brake while giving it some throttle and keep the clutch engaged.

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills? #3  
Not sure if it's true -- but one of Yamaha's biggest sales pitches for the Rhino is that it's Ultramatic drive is the ONLY UTV that keeps the drive engaged AND the belt tight at ALL engine speeds and throttle positions...

Their promotional videod demonstrate the difference in comparison to Rangers, Mules, Arctic Cats, etc -- but not Gators...

I know one thing, in Low Range, 4WD drive engaged, it acts quite similar to a manual transmission truck going down hills, making the engine rumble and pop a bit as the weight of the vehicle spins the engine...

Not quite a Jake Brake, but it works pretty well. :)

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills? #4  
Guys, I just got my new 620i XUV and while driving it slowly downhill I noticed when the RPM's dropped to idle the belt disengaged and it went into freewheel mode with no engine braking - only the brakes to slow it down.

Is this normal or is something out of adjustment on mine?

If you're negotiating hills where that is a big problem, try low range and it'll be less likely to freewheel.
This takes some getting used to, especially with brakes that didn't seem too swift at first but now, at 50 hours or so, seem OK. Not like my old Polaris Sportsman ATV which would give engine braking. Pretty counter-intuitive to give it a little "gas" to go down hill slower, but that is what you have to do to keep it from coasting in high. In low range this is less of an issue.
The flip side is that when you are stopped, it isn't slipping the belt if you leave it in gear idling. Tradeoffs...

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills? #5  
The flip side is that when you are stopped, it isn't slipping the belt if you leave it in gear idling. Tradeoffs...

Don't think that's the way the Yamaha drive system works, but I might be wrong...

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills? #6  
in low and with a load on the engine brakes just fine....i have never understood why peps say the brakes are no good?....i have had over 4,000 pounds(in gator and with 4'x8'x2' trailer) and it will stop it all just fine on steep muddy hills....

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills? #7  
..i have never understood why peps say the brakes are no good?..

Because they were awful when the XUV was new. I suspect it takes a while for the brake pads to bed in or seat properly. They're OK now.
Your example of braking excellence handling 4000 pounds down a muddy hill has more to do with luck and traction than braking power IMO. Glad you weren't hurt.

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills?
Thanks for the responses. I tried it in high gear and low gear and it happened in both. I was just a little surprised a work-based SXS designed to handle heavy loads would have this. I don't really have enough seat time in yet to comment on the brakes except that I don't notice them feeling very strong or grippy just yet (I think I have about 1.6 hours on it).

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills? #9  
Because they were awful when the XUV was new. I suspect it takes a while for the brake pads to bed in or seat properly. They're OK now.
Your example of braking excellence handling 4000 pounds down a muddy hill has more to do with luck and traction than braking power IMO. Glad you weren't hurt.

i do this 2 to 3 times a week....not luck just know what it will do and what it won't do( 200hr seat time).....if you have some weight on it the engine brakin' acts alot different than empty...

not tryin' to get anyone hurt(not even me!!)just tellin' my experiences with the machine..

/ Does your Gator XUV "free-wheel" down hills? #10  
the brakes on my hpx ain't as good as the ones on my rhino . infact i hardly use my brake pedal unless i'm coming into a turn with my rhino . if you are going down a steep ditch the brakes will stop the gator but you have to press them down hard my emergency brake broke years ago and i just never cared about fixin it after it broke the second time. it was good for holding the hpx on steep ditchs and stuff but it was always hanging up. john deere needs to come up with an engine brake like the rhino and the rhino needs to come up with a unlocking rear end like the john deere.