Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #21  
I seem to remember that the safety regulations had something to do with tractor size/classification. For lawn type tractors, they shut off when you leave the seat. But for larger tractors they don't have to. True?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #22  
Not sure on the current regs, but they will get there. Probably a breath analyzer on them soon /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My old 1968 IH has one interlock on the clutch pedal. Otherwise it is up to the operator to not do something stupid.

IMHO the most dangerous piece of machinery is one that the operator thinks is goof proof safe, none are. Stay on your toes and you might keep em.

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #23  
<font color="blue"> IMHO the most dangerous piece of machinery is one that the operator thinks is goof proof safe, none are. Stay on your toes and you might keep em.
</font>

Often the most dangerous piece of equipment is what we have between our ears... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

If we don't use it, we can lose it...and our life along with it... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #24  
<font color="blue"> Often the most dangerous piece of equipment is what we have between our ears...

If we don't use it, we can lose it...and our life along with it... </font>

Well said, Bill.
I'm sure you saw a bad accident or two during your working career by extreme carelessness or shortcuting to save a minute or two.

I've often commented to the fact that our company has never had an accident related death in 34 years, which is pretty good for a company with over 1000 employees. I've witnessed some pretty close calls though! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #25  
On our 970 you can rise up from the seat while driving around without the motor killing. Not sure about PTO and rising up though. One I was on a tractor mowing and my bro was on the 970 and I saw him standing a driving along and I wondered how he did that without the tractor killing.

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #26  
IMHO the most dangerous thank about tractors is the nut that holds the wheel /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #27  
On your lawnmower.. does it have a parking brake? If so.. try disengaging your blade, and setting the parking brake... see if you can then dismount hte mower. My murray works this way...

Soundguy

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #28  
One of the first tractors I drove, and old Ford 3000 had to be in neutral range on the hi-lo selector with the clutch depressed to start. I thought it was broken until they told me! It was a 1965 or something.

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat
Yes, my lawn mower does have a parking brake and if it is engaged, then I can dismount from the seat with the engine running, providing the PTO is not engaged. I think this is a little goofy because it is a a hydrostatic transmission. Why have to put a parking brake on with a hydo. (It is a small JD STX 38 lawn tractor).
But Iv learned a lot from you posters. If the parking brakes are easily applied and released then the question is irrelevant, I guess...
But on my old Allis D14, putting the parking brake on is a real real hassle and I dont do it. Another reason Ive decided to go with a new CUT...
thanks for all the responses, it helped!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Does your tractor shut down when ya leave the seat #30  
<font color="blue"> Why have to put a parking brake on with a hydo. </font>

Because if you step on the pedal while getting on or off, you'll run yourself over. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif