Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to?

/ Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #11  
If your 50 hr service includes hyd oil and filters and hydrostatic filter if applicable, I would wait till 50.

If changing the engine oil makes you feel better I would say go for it, not real expensive and quick and easy.

I did all my oils and filters at 50, switched to rottela 5/40 T6 synthetic in the motor at that time.

Right at 354 hrs now . it is a happy unit:)

/ Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #12  
I changed my engine oil at 40 and then did the whole 50 hr service including engine oil at 75 hours. Why?

Because checking the hydro oil and the front axle didn't show any need for concern at 40 hrs. But the engine is the source of hardest initial wear because of pressure and heat as it's all the moving pieces.

In addition the gear oil in the mmm I changed at the same time as the 50 hour service. That particular item was surprisingly metal flaked and was also the smallest reservoir.

Here is the rational. If engine oil is changed earlier, it reduces any grit or shavings greatly but then let's break-in continue with clean oil. Break-in oil is normally a choice because it is cheap oil. . . . Not because it helps the engine wear more. In today's close tolerances, you want clean oil and no acids in the oil. Meanwhile, changing hydro fluid early is typically not efficient because you can visually see it's cleanliness and it is the largest reservoir and has less heat buildup besides. .

However, I will point out that implement gear boxes like your gear box on your mmm are especially important because there are lots of small gear surfaces and the reservoir is very small.

Jmho

Last edited:
   / Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #13  
However, I will point out that gear boxes like your gear box on your mom is especially important because the are lots of small gear surfaces and the reservoir is very small.

Wait...my mom's gear box? :eek: Sorry, I about spit my drink out when I first read that.:laughing:

/ Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #14  
Wait...my mom's gear box? :eek: Sorry, I about spit my drink out when I first read that.:laughing:

Mercdv,

One of the causes of both unintended frustration and unintended comedy for me is the invention of "automatic spell correction" on Android units. It doesn't highlight spelling issues. . . It just automatically corrects things that were properly spelled and written.

It can create confusion . . . and comedy. . . but it always keeps my ego from getting puffed up :)

/ Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #15  
The OP is considering doing his 50 hour service early partly because he’s been working his tractor hard. In my similar case the tractor hydraulic fluid had darkened, likely from oxidation due to heat and pressure. Hydraulic fluid is subject to a lot more pressure than the engine oil and also generates a lot of localized heat. Again, I worked my tractor hard including a snowblower and I’m glad I changed fluids early. I would not want that stuff in my tractor for another 20 hours.

/ Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #16  
Mercdv,

One of the causes of both unintended frustration and unintended comedy for me is the invention of "automatic spell correction" on Android units. It doesn't highlight spelling issues. . . It just automatically corrects things that were properly spelled and written.

It can create confusion . . . and comedy. . . but it always keeps my ego from getting puffed up :)

That bites me in the butt too. You have to admit that as much as it is annoying...those few moments of hilarity almost make it worth it. :D

/ Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #17  
Auto-correct. What a pain!

I performed my 50 hr service at 38 hours. Partly because I was creeping up to a year of ownership, and partly because the tractor worked hard plowing all winter.

So it was a bit early, but my 50 hr service has only the filters and engine oil. I had to replace the air filter (which was black!!) too. My plan is to do an early 200 hr service (all oils and filters) at 100 hrs, again at 200 and then normal schedule on a yearly basis from there.

Its probably way overkill. But gets the machine serviced at least yearly and I've never heard of over-maintaining equipment!

/ Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #18  
My understanding is that most engines go through their break-in operations at the factory.

Particles in fluids, of meaningful size, are captured by filters! I'd have to say that filter changes are more important. But, if, as others have noted, equipment has been worked really hard then fluids are more likely to be degraded enough to warrant early changing; I would not, however, want to work new equipment (under 50 hrs) so hard as to be concerned about fluid degradation.

/ Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #19  
I can't think of a good reason to do it early. It is kinda like changing oil in your car after 2000 miles. Probably does little harm, but is a waste. I have always been told that diesel engines thrive on hard work.

/ Doing 50 hour service early? Any reason not to? #20  
I can't think of a good reason to do it early. It is kinda like changing oil in your car after 2000 miles. Probably does little harm, but is a waste. I have always been told that diesel engines thrive on hard work.

Agree. Too much work and expense for false peace of mind.