Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #11  
Do not worry about it Fishpick. After three or four times instinct will take over and keep you out of the ditch!:D

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart
Egon said:
Do not worry about it Fishpick. After three or four times instinct will take over and keep you out of the ditch!:D
They do say - the funniest things are said in jest!

must be why I'm laughing right now :D :D

/ Doing smart is smarter than thinking smart #13  
Dunno what you're using for shear pins, Mr. Fishpick, but I had a heck of a time clipping Class 5 bolts out of my bagger setup (I'd pop at least one every mow). I started replacing with the hollow split rolled steel pins (the dark grey looking kind) and they work quite well.

They'll still shear every now and again if I get a huge slug of wet grass or a big knot or something in the impeller, but they are much less prone to the types of breakage that occurred with the bolts. Granted I only mowed my grass 4 or 5 times this whole season, but I'm a good 20 or 25 mows into using this type of pin with no adverse damage to the bagger (it is still protected, is all I mean).

I figure the shock loads during useage just deformed the bolts to the point that they eventually broke. Even if the overall shear strength is similar between the pins and the bolts, I think the pins are more brittle and have a more forgiving shape (can flex on themselves a little) so they manage the hits better. That's my theory, anyway.