Dolmar 5105

/ Dolmar 5105 #11  
The chains getting toasted sounds a bit troubling. Does this happen often?

Only if you are not paying attention. I don't know why they make sprockets like that. Dolmar is not the only one.

Since you have been in the stone age with chainsaws, anything you get is going to be amazing. The saws have such power, and low weight, that you will feel like a super hero when cutting. Enjoy your new saw, whatever it is.

/ Dolmar 5105 #12  
Not sure what is meant by "toasted":confused:
I have had the chain jump off my Dolmar when I wasn't paying attention and it got too loose , my fault...luckily the sacrificial aluminum catcher thingy stopped it with no damage.
As for running hot...well most new saws are too lean and that will drive temps way up, break off those limiter caps and set the mixture correctly and they'll run way cooler, have more power and last longer.

/ Dolmar 5105 #13  
Most of the newer high speed saws hammer the back of the drive links when the chain is thrown off the bar. That includes stihl, husqvarna, as well as dolmar.

/ Dolmar 5105 #14  
Most of the newer high speed saws hammer the back of the drive links when the chain is thrown off the bar. That includes stihl, husqvarna, as well as dolmar.

Yeah what he said..... lol. The 5105 is guaranteed to hammer the drive links if the chain is thrown. After that they will not fit in the guide bar unless you file them back into shape.

My Husky 455 Rancher does not do this. If I throw the chain on that, I simply put it back on and keep cutting.

To me this is a big selling point. In every other category the Dolmar blows the 455 away. These two saws are about the same price too.

/ Dolmar 5105 #15  
First question I would answer is how often you cut wood?? Do you need a bigger saw than your 110??? The 110 was only a 43cc saw. If you are an ocassional user and only need a smaller 14-16" trim saw, I'd save a few $$ and look at the Dolmar 350 and 420. Both basically the same saw but the 420 just has a bigger bore. And both are under $300. The 350 that dad has is probabally the smoothest running trim saw that I have ever ran.

But if you are serious about cutting and want/need the upgrade, the 5105 is a great saw as well. I have heard several rumors about its predecessor the 5100. Including the rumor that a lot of them burned up due to the 10% ethanol in 87 octane gas thet owners were using.

The husky 346 is a great saw as well. For it's size it is indeed impressive. My only complaint is the pricetag. For what it is, it isnt worth the 500+ IMO. Especially when a dolmar 6400 or makita 6401 can be had for 500 as well. Yes they are bigger and heavier, but will out cut the 346 every time.

/ Dolmar 5105 #16  
Looks to be a good price to me and they are real screamers, just be sure after a few tanks of gas through it, get it tuned again with a tach. They turn a lot of RPMs and if too lean they can score a piston same as other screaming saws.

I'd get it tuned right before running it, around 13500 at first, maybe around 13750 after break in. None of 14300 to 14500 unless you want to burn it up in the first long hard cut. The Dolmar 5100 5105 are built every bit as good as Pro Husky and Stihl saws and are reasonable. The 346xp is a nice saw also, just a few more bucks, the 346xp and 5105 will be real close in cutting speed. Steve

/ Dolmar 5105 #17  
I have heard several rumors about its predecessor the 5100. Including the rumor that a lot of them burned up due to the 10% ethanol in 87 octane gas thet owners were using.

Probably true. The owners manual for my Makita/Dolmar states 91 octane with NO alcohol allowed..RTFM:thumbsup: