Dolmar 5105

/ Dolmar 5105 #1  

Pit Man

Bronze Member
Tractor
,JD X340,2520
I can't say enough about this little saw. What a bad *** ! I have a 16" bar and 3/8" chain. We cut 4 cottonwoods about 3' in diameter and a big oak about the same. The Dolmar was the one that cut them all down. All my buddies saws were too dull to get the job done so I handed them the Dolmar and set back with a few beers and enjoyed the show. Thats what I like about this saw. It's not well known around here and every time somebody tries it , I get to drink their beer! I feel good. Just doing my duty for the Dolmar guys.
I'm out, but I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
   / Dolmar 5105 #2  
So let me ask.....How do you cut down a couple of 36" tree with a 16" bar???:confused3: And does the saw have felling dogs??, cause that takes away another inch or so of bar??

(I know you said "about" 3 foot, just trying to have a little fun)

Dolmars are really good saws. If you are that impressed with the 5105, wait til if you ever get a chance to run a 7900:D

/ Dolmar 5105
Ya, 36" is pushing it . I wasn't operating the saw while having a few to many brews.It's all within walking distance of my house also. Now for the 7900 saw. What do they usually sell for. I have a Dolmar dealer near me so I'll call them up, but what is a reasonable price I can look for?

/ Dolmar 5105 #4  
Well, I think prices have went up a bit.

A few years back, you could walk out the door with one for $700 if you were a good negotiator. And $750 wasnt bad. I figure its probabally around $800 now.

/ Dolmar 5105 #5  
The PS-7910 which replaced the PS-7900 is ball parking around $900. Suggested sale price with a 24" bar is $953.74. Looking at the price list right now.

/ Dolmar 5105 #6  
The PS-7910 which replaced the PS-7900 is ball parking around $900. Suggested sale price with a 24" bar is $953.74. Looking at the price list right now.

Ouch. I guess if someone is even considering a 7900, nows the time IF there dealer happens to have one left

/ Dolmar 5105 #7  
So let me ask.....How do you cut down a couple of 36" tree with a 16" bar???:confused3: And does the saw have felling dogs??, cause that takes away another inch or so of bar??

(0:D

Actually there are a couple of techniques that allow one to cut a larger diameter than the bar length doubling (but not too much larger) and I do not recommend any for the occasional chainsaw user. The real pain in the neck begins if you need to buck this oversized stem once it's down with the undersized bar which fortunately I never had to do as all I did was wait for the skidder.

/ Dolmar 5105 #8  
Glad you like your Dolmar, I have heard great things about them. Unfortunately there are no stocking dealers near me to visit to check them out I want to attend your chainsaw technique class on dropping and bucking big wood with a 16" bar, then I can sell my MS660 and 441RCM

/ Dolmar 5105 #9  
I "know" it can be dont, but it is a PITA for an average weekend user.

The method he is probablly talking about is cutting the wedge out. Then before starting the back cut, plunge cutting up inside the wedge to get out the heartwood. And I dont like that either.

Of-course another way to cut a really large tree with a small saw is pick a tree that is hollow:D

And depending on how much "oversize" the tree is, you cal always use wedges and/or pulling once you cut everything you could. We cut a tree down once that was BIG. Cut ALL we could with a 24" bar, then pulling with a JD2040 and cable while driving about 5 wedges in the back. When the tree went, there was still about 10-12" in the center untouched

/ Dolmar 5105 #10  
Stihlman, there are 7 dealers south of mt. Vernon, most within about 40 miles of Carbondale.