Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #31  
I own 3 acres, of which half is wooded. Counting the road ditches and other mowing I do, I might be mowing as much as 2 acres, which is quit a bit more than you have. I originally had a lower priced riding mower, maybe $1200, and it lasted only 3 years, the deck fell apart and the steering was shot. I then bought a more expensive mower, maybe a $4000 John Deere. It held up a lot better but it struggled on the hills I have. I ended up buying a Kubota BX, which is a diesel powered sub compact. I like it a lot more, and I got an end loader, plus is mows. In the long run, this may be something you want to look at in the future. I'm not sure how much driveway you have to maintain, plow of snow etc. Also if you handle any firewood and such. They cost a lot more, $10,000 plus, but will last a lot longer and be more fun to operate. Its just something you might want to consider in the future if you can't afford one now.

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help
All, thank you very much for the advice. And thanks to those of you suggesting the used market and even going so far as to find one in my area and walking me through what to look for (Gittyup). I did listen to everyone's advice, both new and used and in the end I decided to go with a new mower.

After meeting the dealer and realizing that they were a lot closer then I originally thought I went with the Simplicity Broadmoor w/ 44" deck. The dealer has been there for years, is family run and after asking around has a great reputation. The guy delivering the mower actually lives across the road from me.

We talked about a lot of mowers here and I'm sure I'll think about the road not traveled, but in the end I feel like I am getting a well built mower that should last me a while.

Thank you all for your help!!! Hopefully by this weekend I will be tearing through some grass.

-Bryan

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #33  
Congrads on the new mower and remember we like pictures. Nothing like finding the right dealer which is just as important as the mower.

Congrads on the new mower and remember we like pictures. Nothing like finding the right dealer which is just as important as the mower.

Should have something up after Thursday, assuming this rain ever stops :D

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #35  
It didn't appear from your posts the you were needing or interested in a tractor and it looks like you selected a very nice riding mower. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. Remember to change the oil after the first hour or two of use. Rinse under the deck after every mow and remove and power wash the deck at the end of the season.
Enjoy.

It didn't appear from your posts the you were needing or interested in a tractor and it looks like you selected a very nice riding mower. Take care of it and it'll take care of you. Remember to change the oil after the first hour or two of use. Rinse under the deck after every mow and remove and power wash the deck at the end of the season.
Enjoy.

That is a very fair assessment. Light towing is the extent of my plans and I justed wanted something that would deliver a great cut and last.

That being said, I didn't consider towing a lawn roller, but not the end of the world, my neighbor does his and has offered to take care of mine as well.

Thanks again for your help

Should have something up after Thursday, assuming this rain ever stops :D

Weather has been a pain recently. Anyway, as promised.

2cf3a1d.jpg

/ Done with craftsman, looking at Cub and Deere, need help #38  
Riding mowers should only be used for riding and mowing.

While they can tow carts with stuff dumped in them, that's not necessarily the best tool to use as most people have a habit of pushing the weight envelope. I managed to burn up 3 riders towing a 2 cu yd Sears wagon with dirt and rocks over the years before I wised up and went to a SCUT. (And really need to upgrade to a CUT.)

Riding mowers should only be used for riding and mowing.

While they can tow carts with stuff dumped in them, that's not necessarily the best tool to use as most people have a habit of pushing the weight envelope. I managed to burn up 3 riders towing a 2 cu yd Sears wagon with dirt and rocks over the years before I wised up and went to a SCUT. (And really need to upgrade to a CUT.)

Thanks for the advice. The transmission on this rider seems stout and I am crazy about not putting in too much weight.