Don't mess with my Didgeridoo!!!!!

/ Don't mess with my Didgeridoo!!!!! #4  
I liked this comment:

When didgeridoos are outlawed, only outlaws will have didgeridoo's.

/ Don't mess with my Didgeridoo!!!!! #5  
I liked this comment:

When didgeridoos are outlawed, only outlaws will have didgeridoo's.

Hah. That's good. I may consider using that as part of my signature if someone doesn't beat me to it.

/ Don't mess with my Didgeridoo!!!!! #6  
Hey, it happens. Those didgeridoos are known to get your 'blood going'... much like bagpipes to a Celt!

Good thing he didn't have a Giandarra; especially one from Ringarooma!

/ Don't mess with my Didgeridoo!!!!! #7  
Hey, it happens. Those didgeridoos are known to get your 'blood going'... much like bagpipes to a Celt!

Good thing he didn't have a Giandarra; especially one from Ringarooma!

I'm going to need help with those. Found a Giandarra Creek in NSW, and a town of Ringarooma, Tasmania. Other than that, I'm clueless.

/ Don't mess with my Didgeridoo!!!!! #8  
I'm going to need help with those. Found a Giandarra Creek in NSW, and a town of Ringarooma, Tasmania. Other than that, I'm clueless.

A Giandarra is one of many different Aboriginal words for a stone 'tomahawk' & there's a town around Ringarooma Bay (TAS) called Tomahawk.

A bit off topic: I'm always amused by official signs or articles saying "this is the Aboriginal word for 'such & such'", as if there was only one Aboriginal language. Heck, most of the 'Aboriginal' place names that have been adopted mean "Meeting Place". Ie: Canberra = local word for meeting place or Wagga Wagga = (a really good) meeting place. :laughing:

Mind you, where they got the place name of 'Kangy Angy' from is anyones guess.

/ Don't mess with my Didgeridoo!!!!! #9  
A Giandarra is one of many different Aboriginal words for a stone 'tomahawk' & there's a town around Ringarooma Bay (TAS) called Tomahawk.

A bit off topic: I'm always amused by official signs or articles saying "this is the Aboriginal word for 'such & such'", as if there was only one Aboriginal language. Heck, most of the 'Aboriginal' place names that have been adopted mean "Meeting Place". Ie: Canberra = local word for meeting place or Wagga Wagga = (a really good) meeting place. :laughing:

Mind you, where they got the place name of 'Kangy Angy' from is anyones guess.

Thanks!

We too have lots of place and feature names that originated with Native Americans. Some are approximations as the French/Spanish/English/Dutch/etc. settlers adopted the words, but in the process altered them to be easier to fit within their own language--not to mention that many on the frontier were notoriously poor at spelling in any language. :laughing: And, like you say, there were many different Native language groups and dialects within those.

To my knowledge, none of the Native Americans had a written language. There has been an effort to preserve those languages using English phonetic equivalents, but I don't know how successful that has been outside of a few major ones like Navajo.

/ Don't mess with my Didgeridoo!!!!! #10  
Thanks!

We too have lots of place and feature names that originated with Native Americans. Some are approximations as the French/Spanish/English/Dutch/etc. settlers adopted the words, but in the process altered them to be easier to fit within their own language--not to mention that many on the frontier were notoriously poor at spelling in any language. :laughing: And, like you say, there were many different Native language groups and dialects within those.

To my knowledge, none of the Native Americans had a written language.
There has been an effort to preserve those languages using English phonetic equivalents, but I don't know how successful that has been outside of a few major ones like Navajo.

I believe the Mayas had a written language, but that was it until the arrival of the Europeans. Sequoyah is credited with creating a written language for the Cherokees.